NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting the McPherson cartridges into the superstrut shock housing but there is two dimples in the housing because Toyota used a oil filled cartridge instead of gas like found on the 6th gen McPherson Celica. So you get an idea, I'm looking for something to work just like a tailpipe expander, but obviously these are brittle and will break inside the steel shock housing.

What kind of shop would do this. I'm here in Los Angeles

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Any way you could just grind the dimples out? I know this would leave a pair of small dimple shaped holes in the SS shock housing but since you're running a Mac Strut cartridge inside it would still be sealed...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea true that. Alright I'll see how much machine shop charges. If top much, I'll stick to the original idea if welding the top section of McPherson housing.

But thinking about it, it would also weaken the structure of the housing but machining them out. I wish I could push them out like originally thought.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
I wouldn't weld it. In fact on gas struts it specifically tells you not to haha. That's not to say you COULDN'T if you kept the strut housing sufficiently cool, but you have to worry about what's going on on the backside of the weld (the inside of the strut housing where the gas is).

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Just get a long die grinder bit or an extension and grind the dimples out, bit or extender would cost like $30 tops with tax. You could also just get a large drill bit and just drill a hole where the dimple is to remove the dimple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts