NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was looking to trade my 2003 corolla s for a celica gts, had a guy reply to my ad and checked it out, car looks really riced out but in otherwise good mechanical condition. hes telling me the previous owner swapped in another 2zz engine (for whatever reason). carfax states the car as salvaged back in 2002. took it for a drive and it seems to drive perfectly fine. actual milage is 36k, engine milage is 33k. he has no paperwork proving the swap. is there any way i can verify things? im ready to do the trade as besides the salvage title, everything seems to be in fine condition. anything to look out for specifically? i have parts to bring the body back to stock and repainting will be no issue for me. as for my current car, its a 2003 corolla s, owned it since new and has never given me problems.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3192677471.html

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
the car 1ooks fine id just change the tai1s and the paint or change the rims. there is a way to prove if the engine is stock or different one not sure the 1ocation of the number but shou1d be on the b1ock somewhere...if curious take it to a dea1ership they cou1d te11 ya..

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
is there any way i can verify things?
The chassis number is popped with a tag on the engine block. The location is on the firewall side of the block, at the upper rear part where the block joins the transmission. It's tricky to get to but you can lower a camera back there and take a picture. If the number on the tag is the same as on the chassis then the engine wasn't swapped.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chassis number is popped with a tag on the engine block. The location is on the firewall side of the block, at the upper rear part where the block joins the transmission. It's tricky to get to but you can lower a camera back there and take a picture. If the number on the tag is the same as on the chassis then the engine wasn't swapped.
thanks, ill check on this.

Looks like the owner didn't take care of the paint. Who knows what else was neglected.
haha i thought the same, but then i thought that my cars paint wasnt so much taken care of by me either, but i definitely made sure everything under the hood was babied. so i thought id give it a chance.

I second this observation.
yeah, after running a carfax i noticed this. will have to bring this up with him. he seems to always be referring to the engine when i ask him questions about the car, such as the mileage. he gave me the engine mileage, not the body mileage. not that i really care, as long as he isnt trying to hide anything.

also, is it possible for me to find out exactly why the car was salvaged? if it was due to an accident or a theft or maybe he blew the engine doing something stupid? carfax isnt really helping here.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Keep your Corolla and don't buy this car. It will be a money pit.

The front bumper has terrible fitment, it isn't a 2003 like the guy says, you have no clue why it has a salvaged, its pretty ricey, and the paint appears to have no clear coat on the topside of the car.

You can get a much better GT-S for that price.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Like oothers said. Front bumper fitment is bad,its not an 03 and paint is shit.

Pics of your corolla?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts