NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have a 2000 GT-S and as of right now i have roughly $5k saved up for a turbo kit, and i'm hoping to have about $7k by the beginning of next summer, and from what i understand, $7k is roughly what it would cost to get a turbo kit put on the right way the first time through. my question is should i go big w/ the turbo kit that's gonna cost $7k or should i buy a bunch of little things that equal up to $7k? the way i look at it is like this:
(rough estimates)
Nitrous oxide done right- $1500
light weight rims w/ high performance tires-$2000
Good coil overs-$1500
REAL carbon fiber hood (not fiberglass wrapped w/ carbon fiber)- $1000
Good Clutch (maybe South Bend clutch+ labor)- $750
what do you guys think? any advice?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
so youre asking if you should look stock and be turbo, or be slow and look good?

i went with show before go, but now ive been more go than show.

so whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
:werd:

Personally Id rather go with show before go, but thats just my somewhat biased opinion... I can't stand hondaboys proud of a fast POS, or that my car needs a paintjob :sadpace:

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I chose not to go Turbo becaue my car is a daily driver and I didn't want to have to mess with that much maintenance. I guess you could say that I started out show....like Muk, i'm now more into the GO. I am going with a nitrous kit "done right" and a camcon controller as my next mods.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didnt read the other replies..but it's all about what -you- want. Whats most important to you? My first mod after the S2k Antt was a 75 shot with all the accessories save for the msd switch. Works for me, I dont need all that go at all times and when I want to "Show" I just purge.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i want GO, but i guess what i'm tryin to say is, which would give me more GO, a Haas turbo, or Nitrous w/ good rims&tires and suspension with some weight reductions?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Id go with a turbo kit. The amount of money you will spend filling it up over time you could have spent and installed a turbo. Later down the road maybe some rims or suspension

But there are alot of variables that affect GO. What kind of shot will you be running, direct injection, how much boost, ecu, tuning.. You need to figure out what kind of set up you want to run. IE 75 shot and turbo, emanage/or pfc boosting 7-8 psi. That way we can all get a sense of what kind of setup you want and give you more accurate info/opinions. But OVERALL turbo is more affective

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when it comes to the nitrous, i'm lookin at a wet 75 shot with colder spark plugs, and everything else needed to do it right (like purge kit, bottle warmer, window switch, etc). with the Nitrous i'm kinda counting on all the other things to help out w/ the GO part of it.
and when it comes to the turbo, i'm thinkin about a Haas stage 2 kit w/ Apexi PFC and all the little things needed to get that done right the first time. now, i don't know how possible it is, but w/ the good tuning i'm hoping to get from Jay at Haasproturbo, i'm HOPING to get 300 whp just for racing. when it comes to just daily driving, i want as little as possible because i have no desire to really go all that fast. that's kinda my idea. is the turbo thing completely out of the question or is that a legit goal that i can have for my car?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Yea the turbo is a realistic goal, However your gonna need new internals to make that kind of power. The 2zz isnt good with high boost. 8-9psi is about high as the 2zz will go before something will go wrong internally. Some have run up to 13-14 psi on a stock 2zz, it can do it but not long. 7-9psi is a safe level that can be driven daily, which most boost at b/c the car is a dd. Sure you can crank up the boost for a race or 2, but your talking the risk of messing up the engine. Id still go turbo but tune it for daily driving. Do a search for someone with a comparable set up and see what kind of power they are making. Look at the top for stickies, there should be a list of turbo 2zz and a list of mods/kit they are running with the amount of hp they have.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
am i really gonna need new internals? i only ask because 300whp has been passed on stok internals before. I can't remember his name, but some one w/ an MR2 w/ a 2zz swap has somethin like 327whp, and there's that Matrix with like 292whp, which if i cna't hit 300whp that's still definately close enough. i might be wrong, but those number's were hit w/ stock internals and great tuning, i guess i'm just tryin to find out if i spend the extra money to get the extra tuning put on it, would it get the power i'm lookin for on stock internals?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Plan on beefin' up your tranny as well. I also prefer show before go. Save save save. Then blow it all out on your turbo setup. The thing with me is I spend a moderate amount over a time span not all at once unless I have everything set in stone. A turbo would be nice once everything else is nice. Unless you're the type who's really into speed then who cares for looks. 300 is a bit to much for safe daily use. Do everything on your list and have it turbo prepped. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SLVR Stealth said:
300 is a bit to much for safe daily use.
that's the one thing, i don't want that much for daily driving. i want one map w/ as little power as i can get because i'm not gonna be racing to work or anything like that. it's when i'm at the track that i wanna load a different map to get me the power that i want. i don't know if that makes any difference w/ my goals. just figured i'd let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.