NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thier is an autocross event the 22nd about an hour and half from my home and i am really excited to go but i got to think of somethings. Will i see problem with my body kit? Better question is will i mess it up. I know i will be in the STS class (TRD Short shifter and Injen CAI) but i want to try it out, so how it is. Last month thier was only a protege in the STS class so i'll be ok around here lol. another question is should i have gotten an alignment when i got new tires? i don't have pulling on a single direction and it feels good so? Any tips on what i should get/do/if i should go before i go :)

thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I suppose there is an off chance of damage to the body kit. If you hit a cone hard enough it can break things. I've smacked them at 60 + mph in my car and it hasn't even hurt the stock bumper on my car.

I do have some cone scuffs on my car that won't come off, but I think of them as status symbols.

I think you should go for it. If you drive under control then there won't be any problems (except for the Mazda that you might be underestimating).

Alignments should be done as regular maintainence, once a year at least, they should also be done anytime the suspension is worked on (new springs or shocks), or if you hit a big pothole.

Just because the car tracks straight doesn't mean the alignment is right.

Scott

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, maybe after i get paid this week or next i'll get an alignment done. i have had my car a year now so i guess it is one of those things to do. any ideas on what kind of specs to get? should i get the so called crash bolts?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't get anything special. You might try putting masking tape on the leading edges of your front bumper to prevent any scuffs to the paint if you hit any cones. People use the blue painters masking tape often.

Any changes made to your car should be in response to something you want to improve or change with it. Just go and have fun.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Get the alignment done after the autocross. If you like it a lot and want to get serious, we will tell you the good autocross settings, otherwise, a standard street alignment is probably easier and just as good.

Scott

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys the more i think about the more i want to go :) i need to get an oil change too. i do that on monday and go compare price for alignments also :).

right now i think me and 3 other people from panama city are heading out thier(Me(celica GT), Mazda MP3, Mazda Protege, Mazda miaita*** do i see a trend here lol). i believe me and the mp3 and the protege with be in STS because of intakes so i will be cool.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
autxr said:

I do have some cone scuffs on my car that won't come off, but I think of them as status symbols.

I think you should go for it. If you drive under control then there won't be any problems (except for the Mazda that you might be underestimating).

Scott
Yup, I think scuffs are like battle scars...it adds character...but just don't get a big ass crack on the bumper...that just says somethign else...heheh

If you are autoxing for the first time. Don't underestimate your opponents...actually, I'd advice you not to compete and compair your times to others...compare your own times from run to run...that way you'll better yourself and not make yourself feel bad by getting a slower time then someone else.

Get an alignment and then...it's all fun and games, just remember that...ask people at the event if you have questions...that's how you learn. Good luck and enjoy...

*I think we got a new member to our autox forum...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i been readin some of the solo2 novice handbook on tirerack and i have some questions.

1) what exactly is Squeeze the brakes and how does it compare to standing on the brakes?

2)What tire psi do must run? they book says FF car(45psi front, 35psi front)

3) what exactly are light-soled shoes(with narrow sole which does not stickout past the side of the shoe) please give some examples?

4) How do you use that chalk method to see if you are running good psi?

5)do you guys really bring all those things it says to bring(i.e. extra cloths, folding chairs, cooler, snacks, etc) and if so where do you keep it all? is there a place to hold drivers equipment or find a nice place where everyone watching and make it to you corner or something?

6)so you think i should just wait till after the autocross to get my alignment so if i do like it i can get good settings? To express little more to this, i still want to have good handling but i don't want to scrifce all my daily driver comfront...

I've learn some stuff just by reading this handbook thanks for the link pitcrew.

thanks all and i can't wait

·
Registered
791 Posts
1) what exactly is Squeeze the brakes and how does it compare to standing on the brakes?

Don't slam on the brakes. Definitely use the brakes, and use them hard (when necessary), but don't make any drastic sudden changes as this will upset the balance of the car. The same is true with the throttle. Flooring it coming off tight corner results in amazingly standstill wheelspin :) Feed the car gas, squeeze the brakes.

Some other highly recycled helpful sayings: Smooth is fast, Slow in Fast out, Look where you want to go. The last is the hardest to do and remember, but one of the most important.

2)What tire psi do must run? they book says FF car(45psi front, 35psi front)

That seems like a good starting point. Generally Your PSI is matching the front/rear % weight distribution. Do some searches on tire pressures, especially by autxr :) he has some excellent posts.

3) what exactly are light-soled shoes(with narrow sole which does not stickout past the side of the shoe) please give some examples?

So you don't accidently hit the wrong pedal, and to get better feel of the pedals.

4) How do you use that chalk method to see if you are running good psi?

Yes, it works very well. I used polish and it stuck to the tires-damn polish. :( Very helpful.

5)do you guys really bring all those things it says to bring(i.e. extra cloths, folding chairs, cooler, snacks, etc) and if so where do you keep it all? is there a place to hold drivers equipment or find a nice place where everyone watching and make it to you corner or something?

Wichita events aren't huge like CA events. Usually I park in a space, and then put all my crap on the grass. I dejunk of everything but essentials the night before. I use a plastic storage tub (lid is helpful when it rains). There is nothing worth stealing, and you can lock it in your car or friend's car (until you have to run of course).

6)so you think i should just wait till after the autocross to get my alignment so if i do like it i can get good settings? To express little more to this, i still want to have good handling but i don't want to scrifce all my daily driver comfront...

yes.

Autox is highly addictive. Definitely ride along if you can. Don' be afraid to let people know you're new.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1> squeezing the brakes is just what it sounds like, you want to avoid locking the wheels up, you have no contol when the tires are sliding, and hard sudden braking will unload the rear end, making a spin likely especially if you have the front wheels turned at the same time. AX mantra: brake, turn, gas. In that order, you can't do everything at once and remain in control.
2> Most streeet tires need ~ 10# more air than on the street, FWD usually requires more air in the front than the rear. The pressures you quoted are a good starting point, you can let air out if necessary.
3> lightweight basketball shoes, wrestling shoes are popular. Leave home the Doc Martens, dress shoes, loose loafers or sandals. You don't want to catch a sole on the edge of a pedal. Whatever sneakers you have that are comfortable to stand and walk in are best, you'll spend a lot more time standing and walking than driving.
4> You draw a chaulk line over the edge of the tire tread in 2-3 places around the tire. I used carpenters chaulk from the hardware store rather than shoe polish. Examine the marks after a hard run. The chaulk should be worn off only to the edge of the shoulder if the pressure is right. If you do this don't worry about the rears, you'll never get them soft enough to roll over on the Celica. I find this activity to be of doubious value, but ask your mentor for advice. (your mentor is the guy the people in charge suggested you go to for assistance and instruction when you asked them for one. LISTEN to him/her very carefully, especially on the walk through, they will be much more impressed if you keep your mouth shut except to ask questions and take their advice.)
5> Yes, most events don't stop for lunch, and are usually located away from stores, gas stations, and fast food places, so you must bring it with you, ESPECIALLY plenty of water or sports drink. Drink plenty of water, it's very easy to get dehydrated, and once you find yourself very thirsty it's too late. If you don't need to pee at least every 1-2 hrs, you're not drinking enough. There will be an area set aside called the paddock or pits where you'll claim a small area for you to park your car and all that you brought with you. Bring a few large garbage bags to put everything in if the weather is the least bit threatening. Leave home anything you don't absolutely need, floor mats, cd's, extra condoms etc. Then take every loose item out of the car when you get there, don't forget to check under the seats! AXers are very honest folks, so your stuff is likely to be safe. If you like AXing you can buy yourself a large plastic storage bin and put everything in that. DON'T forget a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and rain jacket or poncho if the weather isn't supposed to be sunny and bright.
6> Don't worry about doing anything to the car besides airing up the tires and cleaning it out for your first few events, the driver is 90% of AXing, so concentrate on re-learning to drive first!
Don't even worry much about your times at your first event. Just getting through the course correctly with the car always pointed in the right direction will be a major accomplishment. Don't get discouraged if you end up a lot slower than the majority, every one of us has BTDT at our first event. If the event organizers allow it, get a good driver to ride with you and listen to his instruction, and/or ride along with one of the hot shoe's to see how it's done. You'll learn a LOT faster with instruction than by trial and error, it's a lot different than driving on the highway!
Above all go with the intention to have FUN!!!
7> remember, AX is a lot like golf: it looks easy, it is easy to get started, but it requires a LOT of dedication, practice, and some talent to get very good at it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you people are great :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what other maintainse can i do before the autocross?

i have done the folloing this week.
1) old change to mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic(damn that **** is expensive compared to reg oil, 5 buck a quart) with toyota oil filter.
2)clean my Injen CAI filter with the K&N cleaner kit
3)added fuel injector cleaner to full tank of gas
4) tires look good

i also have a questoin for people who autocross with injen CAI?
Q. Do you use a custom splah guard like the one on cloneGts site. I am using them right now because it rain alot. and i notice sloggesh reaction to them so should i take them off for the autox?

I pre-reged yesterday online :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Check all the other fluids, run the gas down to ~ 1/4 tank, torque the lugnuts, take off the center caps, recheck under the seats for loose change, pepsi cans, dried french fries, etc. Take out floor mats and all loose items, don't forget to check in the spare tire well and glovebox. Make sure any and all your add-ons, especially inside the car, are very securely attached! When you get to the event, push your review mirror up against the roof as far as it will go to keep it out of your vision and to avoid the temptation to check to see if you hit that cone or not...
Most of the people here AX in stock class, which doesn't allow CAI.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
you're getting me excited about autoxing! but unlike you, i watched my first event rather than drive in it.

do everything everyone has said and you'll be fine. if your region is anything like cscc, then i suggest you arrive early. i usually wake up at 6 am and leave the house at 6:30 so i can tech and walk early.

if there's an autocross school in your area then i suggest you take it. it's very helpful. they teach you all the basics like where the proper lines are and they give you plenty of seat time. ESL champ, Mari Clements, was my instructor last year and in the following event after the school, i won my class.

ask erok about your CAI. he runs an AEM in his dsp gts.

have fun.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't bother to change the intake. The only thing I recommend for your first time is basic maintence and inflating tires to ~ 40psi in front and ~ 32psi in back. Also, showing up as early as possible is invaluable in the beginning. You want to stay relaxed and focus on the course and driving, which is difficult if you have to rush. If you're early you can walk the course several times. Take the novice course walk if one is offered.

Then just drive as fast as you can and enjoy. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts