NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have no clue where this goes. I have a 2001 GTS and wanted to swap out my cloth seats for leather. I have seen a couple for sale (at least from a search using the words "leather seat"), but all those come with the side impact airbag where as mine does not. Would it be possible to swap the seats and have the airbags work, or is it even possible to swap the seats? Thanks and sorry if this is a really stupid question.

·
Registered
332 Posts
baldi23 said:
First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have no clue where this goes. I have a 2001 GTS and wanted to swap out my cloth seats for leather. I have seen a couple for sale (at least from a search using the words "leather seat"), but all those come with the side impact airbag where as mine does not. Would it be possible to swap the seats and have the airbags work, or is it even possible to swap the seats? Thanks and sorry if this is a really stupid question.

i saw some on ebay, don't know if they're any good or not. i also "googled" leather seats the other day, they were in th $5-800 a pair range. the dealer can get them too. there's a sticky in here on how to change them i think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read the threads on how to change them. I was just wondering if it would be possible to put in seats with side airbags in a car that did not originally come with them. If I could get the seats themselves, it would cost more, but save me a bunch of time removing the old covers and attaching new ones.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think you would need to see if the GTS is pre-wired for the side airbags and if it is, then you should be able to just install the new seats...I believe that the side airbags were a dealer installed option...I think that is what I read somewhere...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Side airbags were not a dealer installed option as mine came direct from the factory with them. I don't think there'd be a problem installing the seats with side airbags in a car not originally equipped for them, but they won't work unless the GT-S is prewired for them. There's probably another connector under the seat/carpet to supply power to the airbag.

I haven't removed my seats, so I really don't know. I'd check to see if you have wires coming from the airbag sensor assembly to under the seats.

Check: http://www.newcelica.org/other/technical/manuals/volume2.pdf
Page 797 has all the components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts