NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 02 celica GT and am wanting to do some simple modifications to basically start learning about repairing/modifying cars. I've read some stuff and was wondering what is the best part to start with? Cold air intake, exhaust system, and new headers seem to be the most common thing to start with. My friend was telling me the celica might not need a cold air intake bc it already takes air in from the front of the car (cold air)? plz correct me if im wrong. Also I can't do an exhaust system bc I dont have access to a lift. Any ideas on where to start and what brands are good would be much appreciated.

thanks,
chris

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
CAI, exhaust, header, coilovers/springs, etc. are good places to start from

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
your friend is an idiot and should not be consulted with celica questions...if you want to be a DIY person start out easy if you've never worked on cars. CAI is easiest. the Ebay intake is a great starter because it costs less than 60 bucks and it works just a well or even better than the 200 AEM. the ebay is basically a gen 1 version of the AEM check out the intake thread in the general fourm for more info on ebay vs. Aem. next is exhaust..its 3 hangers holding up your exhuast and 2 bolts..your going to need wd-40 or dishsoap water for the hangers and manpower for the 2 bolts if you dont have acess to a lift and powertools. header is a little more complicated but it can be done in the comfort of your garage with hand tools with 2 or more people. for a gt hotshot is best or get a full racing from weapon racing and i think trd makes a header as well. as for exhaust choices theres a ton of them out there and a ton of theads about it so take some time and gather some info from the treads and post back here again with your results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been reading... getting such mixed reviews is ridiculous. PPl either say "you get what you pay for" or "ebay is just as good as AEM and way cheaper" Then i started reading about CAI in general and they said u should be concerned about driving throuhg big Puddles. I live in Atlanta, GA and we are getting heavy down pours right now and will in the future. They recommended V2 which seems to be a compromise of a short and CAI? Does the v2 even work on the celica (was reading about v2 on acura forum) .

Thanks

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
AEM doesn't make a V2 intake for the Celica. Not enough room in the engine bay. They do have a second generation intake, though. If you want to flaunt a brand name, go for AEM, if you're only concerned about power, go with the eBay replica. As for puddles, as long as they aren't 1' deep and you have your wheel wells intact, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can the CAI go to the driver side of the car? obviously that side will go through less water considering most street puddles form in gutters. probably noob question, but im learning as I go.

thanks

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
virtualdrummer said:
can the CAI go to the driver side of the car? obviously that side will go through less water considering most street puddles form in gutters. probably noob question, but im learning as I go.

thanks
Yup, it's on the driver side.
virtualdrummer said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-...hZ019QQitemZ8033661350QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Should i just buy AEM on ebay? what company are u comparing AEM to? or jus the price of retail vs. auction?
Any intake that looks like AEM will work the same, no matter the company. It's just a pipe, nothing special. Just pick the color you like. You shouldn't have to spend more than about $50 shipped for one.

BTW, the pic in the auction in your link isn't what the real AEM looks like. This is what you should be looking for:

Some come with 2pc pipes that make installation a bit easier, and can be turned into a short ram if necessary.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ive read something about the filters being pre-oiled or something like that??? so if u buy an ebay one..do u need to buy a better filter or wat??

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
When I bought an eBay CAI, the filter was a bit small. Didn't have a problem with it being overoiled, though. Nowadays, the filters look much bigger, so they should be good. If you still want peace of mind, though, pick up a K&N filter for $40-50 and you're set.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Have Boosted2.0 P&P your header. That's better than any aftermarket...from what I hear

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I would just replace the air filter provided with knockoff cai. I do not trust them. Buy one from a known company ... and use the rest of the ebay cai ...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
when you get your e-bay intake make sure you clean out all the metal filings & debur it
otherwise you'll be sucking the that stuff into your car & replacing your engine next.
also i would replace the filter that comes with the e-bay intake with a K&N.

exhaust is what we call an axle back system it is 2 bolts & 3 hangers as someone else had described. that unbolts from under the car on the passenger side just before the rear wheel. a lubricating spray (silicone spray, wd-40, dishsoap) will help remove the hangers.

header IMO Boosted2.0 ported stock header is a good deal & that job will take you
the better part of the day with basic hand tools & a beginners knowlegde there
is also a how to write up on this.

good luck, please take your time & do it the right way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
header IMO Boosted2.0 ported stock header

I dont know what boosted 2.0 ported means? Is that replacing the stock headers with new headers or what?

Thanks for all the comments. Helps a lot!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts