NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Celica GT-S TRD
After hearing a scraping noise under the front of the car, a quick look showed the plastic skid plates were hanging down. The metal diamond mesh grille was also hanging loose, and I couldn't figure out how it fastened on. So I hooked the skid plates over the tie-down hook at the front, and headed off into the mountains :>)
When we came into town for supper, I could hear the scraping again. When I looked this time, the metal grille was gone. After some investigation when I got home, I figured out from what is left how it appears to have been connected together. There are supposed to be three skid plates - the one under the oil pan is missing, and Toyota wants $200 for it (looks like it should be a piece of plastic about 1' square). The other skid plates are hanging down for two reasons:
1) A bunch of the plastic panel retainer clips are missing. Toyota wants over $4 ea. for these. I could likely get them cheap on line if I knew what to look for.
2) These have metal straps that used to be connected (maybe spot-welded) to the grille (which explains why the grille didn't appear to be fastened to anything - these had all broken away from the grille).
The grille is about $115 from Toyota.
So - does anyone have any suggestions on where to get the parts to clean this mess up without breaking the bank? Maybe SKUs (part numbers) that I can search on-line? I could use a few of the panel retainer clips that hold the plastic panels down in the engine compartment as well.
Thanks!

·
Justin
155 Posts
The plastic clips that you need can be bought at your local hardware store for real cheap. I bought a bunch and replaced ones that were loose on my car. Just bring one inside with you to get the correct size.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clips

The plastic clips that you need can be bought at your local hardware store for real cheap. I bought a bunch and replaced ones that were loose on my car. Just bring one inside with you to get the correct size.
Been to a few parts stores - no luck so far on the replacement clips. There was a whole side of a rack of them, but none the right size. We have a mechanical shop, and we looked through a Lawson catalogue, but there are about a million different SKUs for these. What hardware store did you get yours from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need a new bottom grille I have top+bottom grilles. They're not that chicken wire shit, they're Grillecraft Black Mesh grilles.
The factory grille wasn't that bad. Not sure if I could get it up here (Canada) any cheaper than just buying the factory one locally.

Does the Grillcraft one come with all the mounting tabs? Looks from their site like it has the tabs to mount to the bumper, but what about the tabs that hook onto the skid plates?

Thanks!

·
2000 Celica GT
460 Posts
The factory grille wasn't that bad. Not sure if I could get it up here (Canada) any cheaper than just buying the factory one locally.

Does the Grillcraft one come with all the mounting tabs? Looks from their site like it has the tabs to mount to the bumper, but what about the tabs that hook onto the skid plates?

Thanks!
Mins has tabs to drill to bumper

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tabs

Mins has tabs to drill to bumper
I got that from the install pictures on the Grillcraft site, but if it doesn't have the tabs that the original one had to connect to the skid plates, then I still have the same problem with them hanging down at the front and catching on stuff. There's nothing there to fasten them to - they just kind of hang out in mid air. It's really kind of a stupid design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.