NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since HIDs are such a common mod and I never saw pictures on how to do this I figured I'd make a write up (Even though this forum is totally dead)

This guide is for anyone putting aftermarket HIDs or LED bulbs (anything brighter than stock) into stock halogen housings not OEM HID housings. DO THE RESPONSIBLE THING IF YOUR UPGRADING. Don't blind other drivers because you're lazy

All you'll need is 3m metal foil tape (10 bucks on amazon), you wont need much, only a couple of inches. And a 10mm socket and screwdriver.

You have to remove the headlights in order to take out the reflector bowls. To remove the headlight there are three bolts. Two are easily accesible but for the third you have to remove the 2 side bolts that hold the front bumper on. If you remove these 2 side bolts on the bumper you should be able to pull the bumper far enough out from the fender to get to the bolt holding in the headlight as shown in the picture.

This picture shows the location of all 3 bolts that need to be removed to take out the headlight. Once all the bolts are removed you can unplug the harnesses for the bulbs and remove the headlight from the car.

Now that you have the headlight out make sure you put it on a surface that will not scratch the headlight itself (ie. towel). First thing you need to do is remove the rubber grommet.

Now if you look inside you can see there are two screws and two metal tabs that hold the bowl in place with one of each on the top and bottom (I'd recommend a nice magnetic screwdriver so they don't drop anywhere). Toyota was nice enough to label the top side so you cant re-install wrong.

BOTTOM

TOP REMOVED

BOTTOM REMOVED

Now pull the bowl towards the back to get it off the tabs and it should come out and if you turn it correctly will be able to come out of the headlight assembly just barely.

Now if you can look inside you'll see why you get the "Smiley Face"

Now clean the face with some rubbing alcohol to ensure the metal tape to sticks well

Then cut a small section to cover the holes and making sure not to cover the edge as that edge is your cut off line and you don't want to ruin that

Reverse install

Enjoy your new cut off line

·
Registered
239 Posts
I for one, very very much appreciate you doing a write up for this graveyard forum! :D we really need to find a way to rejuvenate this place...

I have HIDs and I didnt even know this was a thing... Any pictures of what the smiley face looks like before its fixed? When the light is protecting it, that is.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unmodified on the left, modded on the right
These are two different bulbs so that's why the color is different. This mod WONT do anything besides get rid of those two UFO's above the cut off

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Well done!

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,258 Posts
Very nice and thank you.

These spots are also referenced as "UFO" spots and I remember there were some threads on this.

This concerns the aftermarket HID kits and not the OEM HID.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I cant remember the last time a Write Up was done!
Well done!
Thanks guys I know it will help someone out there

Very nice and thank you.

These spots are also referenced as "UFO" spots and I remember there were some threads on this.

This concerns the aftermarket HID kits and not the OEM HID.
Yeah I remembered they were called UFOs after I posted the thread, it's been too long lol

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice job! I did the exact same thing to my headlights. It works great.
Thanks! I didn't think it was that easy otherwise I would have done it a long time ago, I thought you had to open the headlight in an oven

If I can recall reading back here long ago, those holes in the housing were meant to help illuminate street signs during nightime driving
They are but it's meant for halogen bulbs, HIDs or LEDs are brighter and throw light differently making those UFOs too bright. The Celica's projector housing is the only one I've ever seen them have it and should be fixed if you upgrade

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you switch to the LEDs you posted on FB, Mike? If so, how do you like them?
Yeah, I even made a LED conversion guide in the electrical section with what I think
"I only compared it against my 4 year old 35w HID kit and side by side you can't really tell but when driving and far distance the LED is clearly brighter. Not a crazy amount brighter but clearly throws light farther compared to a generic DDM tuning 35w 6000k kit. I have 3000k 35w HID fogs and these clearly over power them in light throw. Also instant on and off is just so sexy to me no more warm up which isn't that big of a deal but ain't nobody got time for that."

·
Chris
181 Posts
This forum may be dead (traffic wise), but I always use this forum as a reference for anything I might be doing to the Celica! I logged on to this forum a couple days ago to research a problem I had with the Celica and bam, 5mins. of reading and found the solution!!! How do you think I found this thread! I might convert to LED now!! :)

This forum has more guides and experiences stored on it then any other forum I have been a member of! This forum better not go anywhere!

plus this forum was all we had back in 2001!!!! I'm old school Celica!!:chuckles: :puff:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts