NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am fed up w/ my inadility to get a position in the private sector, so...

I am looking into intelligence opportunities in the Navy and the Air Force. I have a MA in Applied Social Research (focus on Criminal Justice and Counter Terrorism) and cannot get a job due to lack of security clearance (nothing that would keep me from getting it, though!). I also have a BA in Government (Political Science). I have interviewed with several private sector consultig firms but no luck.

Now the military has been sending me stull about entering as an intelligence officer. I would just enlist, but I want to take advantage of my education so the officer route makes more sense.

The Navy trains IOs close to where I live now (well, relatively close in Norfolk, VA), so my time away from my wife would be less than with the AF. Also, many IOs are on permanent duty in the Washington DC area, which is where I work now (on the beltway).

My parents hate the idea, as do my inlaws. My wife is very supportive, but I know she would rather have me close to her while she finishes school. I want to stay close to her as well, but I am in a go-nowhere job. I actually work 2 jobs now to make sure that we can afford our cars, rent, bills, etc. Unfortunately I hate my job and have no roon for advancement.

So what do you guys think? Say whatever is on your mind. I want to get to work in my field, but 10 months of searching and I am still WAY out of my field. I want to make a meaningful contribution to national security, and this is a sure route. But I have never been in the service, so I have no idea how great (or small) the strain will be on my family. My wife is more important to me than a job, but my job feels like a waste of time and a waste of education and ability.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am a cryptologist in the Navy, If you have any questions you would like answered feel free to hit me up offline.

first off there are 2 types of "intelligence" officers in the Navy. There is the Intelligence officer and then there is the Cryptologic officer. Neither of which is likely to give you a first tour in DC, maybe Ft Meade but not DC. Both of which require you to go to OCS in Pensacolla FL. Both of which also will require you to go to sea at some point. I would suggest becoming a crypy officer, it is more interesting and offers the most rewards early on. As a Lt you will be in charge of a SCIF on a small boy, as a LCDR you will be a CRC for a battle group.

Well that is all i am going to say now, like i said if you have more questions hit me up. I can even get you an Intell officer and a Crypy officer to talk to that will give you the skinny on each designator.

Jeremy

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Yeah, I dont know if just because there is a training center near you that you will be able to stay.

I think that the nilitary is for some, but if you have a wife and you are settled it may not be for you.

You might want to look into other areas of the government (Homeland Defense has a few opening ;)) to get your security clearance. Then move to the private sector. The government is always hiring.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here is the situation.

I was relying on what I was told by several people as to where I would be stationed, so I have no specific knowlege regarding a potential station in the DC area. I do know that i will be stationed on a ship for a period of time, but followign that, I may by assigned to the DC area.

I have tried to get in on the government side, but I keep getting passed over for veterans or other gov't employees. Also, I get so tired of completing KSAs!!! And they take so long to tell you yes or no regarding job placement.

I was told that after OCS in FL the actual intelligence\training was in Norfolk. Can you confirm this? I am very interested in taking to some officcers in both branches of Navy Intelligence. I am very seriously considering this, but i do worry about strian on my family. I have only been married for 9 months, and I am not in a huge hurry to be away from her for months on end. This may be a sacrifce that i have to make, buit I want to go into this with as much information as possible.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
My bet is that you have no assurances where you will be. They will put you where they need you. Also you have no assurances when you sign up that they will place you were they promised you. That happened to my friend, they said he was going to basic then some training school and they just stuck him in the engineering corp, and he was stuck there for two years. This might be quite different for officers but I still would tend to think that your destiny will no longer be yours to decide.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
industrialTOOL said:
hmm... :confused:

;) j/k
It has been emperically proven that the smartest people in the world cannot spell because their brain is releasing information faster than their motor skills can act. That is why many smart people have crappy handwriting as well.

I fixed it in my title!!!

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
phenryiv1 said:

It has been emperically proven that the smartest people in the world cannot spell because their brain is releasing information faster than their motor skills can act. That is why many smart people have crappy handwriting as well.

I fixed it in my title!!!
well thats good to know, cuz my handwriting looks like i should be a doctor, not just work for one :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts