NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 5zigen fr's and im washing the car yesterday and im spraying the wheels and all of a sudden a strip of paint comes off! Im like WTF, so after cursing for about 10 mins i move on, can you believe the same thing happened to the next wheel!! What the hell is going on. I had the wheels on the car for over 5 months and no street rash, no damage whatsoever, only to have them looking like **** when i go to wash them. Anyone else have this happen to them. Do you think I can call 5zigen and have them do something?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
someone i know had the same problem with his TSW's. Sorry to hear about your problem bro. Give it a shot and call them.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
What kind of cleaning stuff did you use? Some stuff that they say is good for cleaning wheels has acid in it ! Stay away from that stuff! a regular car wash soap will do!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mequires wheel cleaner!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
soceur said:
I have a set of 5zigen fr's and im washing the car yesterday and im spraying the wheels and all of a sudden a strip of paint comes off! Im like WTF, so after cursing for about 10 mins i move on, can you believe the same thing happened to the next wheel!! What the hell is going on. I had the wheels on the car for over 5 months and no street rash, no damage whatsoever, only to have them looking like **** when i go to wash them. Anyone else have this happen to them. Do you think I can call 5zigen and have them do something?
If it took the paint off the first wheel, why did you spray it on a second? Anyway, I think your sol on two wheels now. They forewarn you on the can of wheel cleaner not to use it on certain finishes. And wheel cleaner, I believe, is for the tires, not necessarily the rims. 5zigen isn't going to do anything for you. It isn't a defect, its a chemical reaction. Live and learn.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bottle says safe for all finishes, and its not a tire cleaner it specifically says for wheels of all types.... Also i figured after the first wheel it must have been a stone that chip the wheel and when i sprayed it it got under the lift of paint the stone did and just got torn off, didnt expect the same thing to happen to the second. Actually 5zigen told me to email them pics today. So that in itself doesnt leave me SOL just yet;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
soceur said:
the bottle says safe for all finishes, and its not a tire cleaner it specifically says for wheels of all types.... Also i figured after the first wheel it must have been a stone that chip the wheel and when i sprayed it it got under the lift of paint the stone did and just got torn off, didnt expect the same thing to happen to the second. Actually 5zigen told me to email them pics today. So that in itself doesnt leave me SOL just yet;)
maybe it is a defect...what do I know? They probably just don't want to publicize that there was a problem w/ that "batch"...they'll investigate as they are asked to. I'm sure lots of people do that kind of thing everyday, and like I would, just buy a new rim...good luck.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've learned not to use anything on your wheels that you don't use on your paint. Plain soap and water will do and don't use high pressure water. That's what elbow grease is for.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Look at this as a good thing, if they don't fix/replace them now you have an excuse to strip them all down and powder coat them if you want.

But sorry that happened.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
dammit...i bought the product a month ago...but i havent gotten around to use it yet...makes me think if i should now...that sounds uncharacteristic of Meguires....

·
Registered
639 Posts
You might have better luck if you complain to Meguire's about their product damaging your wheels. Especially since it says "safe for all finishes."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts