NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys i got the engine mount and at first i thought it might be a hard install, but it so wasnt. Probably the easiest install i have ever done, i didnt even need a breaker bar. But yea my initial feelings i was hoping it would help me in my 1-2 shift, as well as the torque steer i have. I was right, bills solid engine mount works great. It is so much easier to shift now, i had the hardest time shifting my 1-2 cause i kept hitting the gates or something, but yea its way smoother. I have an 02 so its hard to hit lift from my 1-2 shift, every once in a while i can get it, but now that i have the engine mount, shifting is way easier and smoother at high rpms. I hit lift a lot more often now. Man after driving tonight, i need to give my car a rest. i was launching all day today, seeing how it feels. It feels so nice hitting lift on my 1-2 shift in an 02, its not an easy thing to do you know ;). I tried to get to the track this weekend but it didnt happen due to problems, but im back on my feet now and i did kill an s2k last night. I raced my friends s2k, he has comptech headers, spoon throttle body, aem cai. It was a good race, he took me on the launch but i caught up. so yea, much thanks to you bill and for the well made engine mount. i like it alot, and my car feels great now. O and just so you all know, when i rev my car and the engine flexes.... it doesnt flex much but when it does flex, it does it evenly, the whole engine moves evenly, im just pointing that out cause didnt someone mention that the engine torque brace, the engine moves more on one side... is that good for all the mounts and the engine???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can you explain just "how easy" this is to install?

I know it is a few bolts but did you have to lift the engine, a brace, or anything besides the car to get at it?

Nice review btw, makes me want one.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It makes sense to have to put a jack underneath the motor to keep it in place while you do the swap over...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hmmm...I'm thinking that since I already have the torque brace, that I should wait to get Hypermotive's urethane mount, which I think is supposed to be more flexible than Bills...I'm thinking that if I got Bills, that it would be too much with the torque brace...

Any ideas?

Usman

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bills will be just fine with a torque brace. If you want to see my install of it check it out here:

http://www.spaldam.com/Hobbies/Celica/Engine/FrontMount/performancemount.html

I think I might have had to use a breaker bar because I had a clutch and LSD put in previously, and the guy who did those propbly tightened by bolts down too much, but over all it's not that hard of an install.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the install is very easy, its literally 3 bolts and the plastics underneath the car. it honestly only took me 30 minutes to install. If you ever had the hardest time shifting, this is a must. i cant express how much my shifting has improved, its so much easier to shift into lift in an 02 now. plus with this mod, when the engine does flex, it flexes evenly, with the torque brace, it will still flex, but flex more on one side. but with the combo of both, man thats one stiff engine. but i think some flex is good for it.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Thats great Hungster,

I had the Torque brace and Solid mount in for 5 days now and basicaly the car drives like it should have from the factory............I do get alittle bit of noise in car at idle but after 2 days I dont even hear it at all..................Man its sooo nice to just shift the car and gun it without your car jumping.

Sorry I'm realy sick an will do a better write up on this when I'm better but I WOULD recomend all gts 6-speeds to get this mod.........even Gt's would benefit from this.........BUT Hitting lift is sooooo much easier now........

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes hitting lift is a definite approvement. hey mica how does your car drive with both the mounts?? i am thinking about getting both of them, man it drives nice, yes it vibrated at idle at first, but now i dont really feel it at all anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Well I did the "Torque Test" using just the Brace itself and the Mount with the Brace...........Engine still moves alot with the Brace on the drivers side it still lifts up.......... there is almost no noticeble movement with BOTH the mount and Brace............I'm sure the Brace helps a bit.

Torque Test = Put on your Parking Brake, reg Brake, rev upto 4k and slowly let up the clutch..........see how much your engine moves.

Oh and there is not anymore noticeble noise between the Mount and the Brace and haivng both of them...............

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Glad to hear all the praise guys!

I'm happy too to hear it fixed your shift probs, Hungster! Now get to the track & break into the 13's :D

Wil, I'm working on the automatic one. I'll show you the difference between the two stock mounts tomorrow when you come to the shop.

Lormax, you don't have to put a jack under the motor at all. You see, the engine is supported by the two side engine mounts. You can even drop the engine/suspension crossmember in the celica to install a header or sway bar without supporting the engine. It's $150, but $50 is refunded if you ship your old mount to me.

uansari, This mount works REAL well on its own. It also works well with killerm's torque brace. You won't believe the difference it makes. Like MicaCeli said, THIS is the way the car should have been from the factory.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yup what bill said, but yea the car feels so much better, i cant believe how much it improved my 1-2 which was what i had the hardest problem with. The engine still flexis a little but thats good, that way you wont get a lot of premature wear on all the other parts. O and the car does feel a little better performance gain wise, a lot more toruqe actually gets to the ground now

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it's good that the engine is still able to move a bit, but I know a lot of all out race cars will use solid mounts, as in welded metal to metal, makeing imposable for the engine to move at all, but that also doesn't give you any vibrasion dampening, and will vibrate you to death inside the car regardless of how well balanced the engine is.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Acctualy its better for the engine to not move..........The only reason that we have Rubber Mounts is becouse of Ride comfort (Why the hell our mounts are sooooo soft in a 'Sports' car is beyond me)

Only thing that we were worried about is having stress on the front mount where it meets the aluminum of the Tranny..........But the Mount is not solid and allows movement and absorbs some of the shock from the engine..........Plus I dont believe that there is not enough Torque that the engine is putting down that we need to worry about the stress on the Mount points.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts