NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- so I have a 2003 GT-S with a front that acquired some damage while I was in Tokyo for 3 months. It was left in Boston and the house it was left it came under construction so it got moved outside, and then Boston had some flooding. Anyways- it didnt get flooded but part of the grill on the front got rusted through and is causing me some grief ... lemme get the pictures.

Sorry about the picture quality- dont have a camera so I had to use a camcorder.

So heres my Celica ... <3 . The arrows point to where the damage is sort of ... in that area

Here you can see the left side of that; the grill is actually hanging down a bit. The arrow points to where Im assuming it gets held up by ... that part is sort of busted .

This is the right side. Where it was attached is completly rusted through and again the grill is hanging down.

Now, it wouldnt be so bad EXCEPT it would appear that the plastic undercarriage is attached to this grill that is now hanging down ... and because of that, the plastic undering of the whole car actually hangs down. When I was driving it from Boston to Rochester, I first noticed it in a "flapping" sound, because the plastic was actually beating against the highway . And now because of that, the whole underside is kind of ... frayed you could say.

Heres a picture

So the whole undercarriage is frayed and that part is hanging down.

My question for you is ... what do you think? Take it in to Toyota? Or attempt some lousy self repair ... and also, how much do you guess it could come to cost?

Thanks a lot everyone

·
Registered
273 Posts
You best be careful... I remember in a previous thread someone asking about taking the plastic pieces from the bottom of the car off...it was said that the aerodynamics of the celica change and the car can be flipped without them! It is best that you take the plastic pieces off your engine to help with the weight differential... Also, drive with 1 shoe (dont ask why, but it helps with weight)...

Now...if you don't want to go through that...I'd make it a self project...shouldn't be that hard. Why spend all that money Toyota's gonna charge you to fix plastic?

Whatever you do...be careful...the plastics play an important role!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Sand down the rust off of the metal peices if you can and spray with some rust inhibitor. Then purchase the beatrush or c-one underpanel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts