NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, where to begin...

My question is, since I have not been on these forums for a while, does the fuel pump have a high failure rate? It's a fairly stock car and I don't see how an OEM fuel pump could fail/start to fail in 5 years. Please read on for diagnosis.

I just recently started a tuning shop in Madison, my cousin hears about it and asks me to take a look at his 00 GTS. His mods, Blitz intake, Trial header, Trial exhaust, Apex'i PFC with a map from MWR.

I take his car for a quick spin around the block and this thing is weak. Much weaker than a stock GTS (I used to have one). around 4k rpms it just bogs down and does not want to rev. I hook up a WB and a OBDII logger (to read ignition timing) to it and take it for another spin. This thing is reading crazy lean, ranging from 32:1 (Idle) to 20:1 (WOT @ 5000rpm), and you can hear a big ole "KNOCK!" at around 5000rpms. I suggest he swap out the PFC with the stock ECU as I don't want to tune it with the handheld (takes too [email protected] long)

A week later he comes back, the ECU has been swapped and he says it feels a lot better and he wants me to install a Weapon R header. Seeing as I'm not getting paid for any of this and I'm merely doing a favor for him I do not re-test the car before installing the header or go through my usual procedures.

Header installed I take it out for a spin. and it's still horribly weak although below 4000rpm it is much torquier. I ask him what the deal is and he says he hasn't taken it that high yet since the car felt so much better down low with the stock ECU. grrr....this is taking up too much of my time, especially for free, hook up the wideband, stick in a OBDII datalogger to see what timing is doing cause it really feels like timing is being pulled back.

Above 4000rpms the revs slow down, at 5000rpm the revs slow down even more, at 6000rpms the cam switches over (audible but no kick). The A/F reads a bit lean but much better than before ranging from 22:1(idle) to 16:1. (WOT @ 6500rpm). ignition is all over the place, at approx 6000rpm, ignition retards all the way down to -0.5.

I ask him about the lift bolts, he claims he had Toyota replace them about 6-8 months ago. I check the Toyota Service Manual and it says the fuel pump or harness may be bad. Which would make sense, the car isn't getting any fuel so it's pulling back on timing...but all the manual says is to test the pump for power, which I know is getting power cause the car starts and runs.

So I decide to replace the camshaft position sensor since it's a fairly easy switch (crankshaft is a bit more of a hassle) with one pulled off of my 2zzge. Stick it in and it runs much better but still not up to par. The car does not experience a slow down until 5000rpm and lift actually kicks in intermittently after 6500rpms. Ignition timing falls to around 5degrees.

My question is, since I have not been on these forums for a while, does the fuel pump have a high failure rate? It's a fairly stock car and I don't see how an OEM fuel pump could fail/start to fail in 5 years. The only thing I can think of is the MWR tuned PFC causing too much of a load on it and wearing it out faster...

Reason for the question is my cousin does not want to spend any $$$ on it unless he has to. I advised him from here on out I was going to charge him since it has taken up quite a bit of my time. and he wants to be absolutely sure it is the fuel pump. :angry: He's gotten my services for free and after I can't diagnose a problem 100% that has been prevalent on his vehicle for over a year he balks at spending a little $$$.

Anyways please let me know.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Fuel Pump failure is not something I have seen a lot on celica's. It could have something to do with the MWR PFC, but I doubt it.

Has he been the sole owner of the car? Where does he buy his gas? Has the fuel filter been changed? Are his lines ok? How does he drive it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Has he been the sole owner of the car?[/quote} He bought it used with about 20k on the clock, he's at 80k right now.

Where does he buy his gas?
I asked him that as well, Sunoco premium 93octane

Has the fuel filter been changed?
No, asked him that also, but near as I can tell the Celica does not have a fuel filter except the in-tank one. I could be wrong it's been 5 years since I tore my celica apart.

Are his lines ok?
Lines look fine when I was under the car
How does he drive it?
He just drives it normally now. He says when he first put in the PFC over a year ago it made a weird noise (knock, he didn't know what it was) and he's kept it around 3500rpms mainly. He likes to get on it, but unfortunately he's not in touch enough with his car to know there was a problem with it until I mentioned it.

Also NO codes are in there. Not even after removing the CAT...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Alpha-Zero said:
Tha
He just drives it normally now. He says when he first put in the PFC over a year ago it made a weird noise (knock, he didn't know what it was) and he's kept it around 3500rpms mainly. He likes to get on it, but unfortunately he's not in touch enough with his car to know there was a problem with it until I mentioned it.

Also NO codes are in there. Not even after removing the CAT...

If he heard a knock when the PFC was put in. That may be the problem. Something may have broken, but IDK what could be broken to allow him to drive for 1 year.

One big thing I forgot to ask...

His is a 6-SPD MT or a Auto?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Alpha-Zero said:
6-spd

I've thought about doing a compression test (usually one of the tests I perform right off the bat) but there really is good power down low so I didn't bother (plus I'm not getting paid!)

mmm, interesante. You may be right as far as the fuel pump goes. But IDK, i would think that would throw a code, but with changing the ECU around, I don't know what that would do to the ODB.

Best thing is for the Mods to move this to the Repair section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts