NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a long time since I went to the strip but I'm still there!!

Overall, I would say last tuesday was a pretty frustrating evening. And by far the least consistant track day I went to.

My early 7k cutoff messed at least 2 runs even if the water temp was OK (usually used when the engine is not heated anought). I still can't really explain.

Other than that, traction was the real issue. The track prep was pretty bad IMO. I should have known, the 5 bucks tuesday trials are always like that. My DRs aren't like new but they should still hook up pretty good with a nice track IMO.

So, basically, I had only 2 runs (which were ordinary IMO) where I wasn't spining in first at 8350 rpm before to shift ins econd gear..

Best result was the first run of the night against a stage 1 srt-4 w/ slicks :

..............Me...........................SRT-4
R/T.........0.147......................0.010
60ft........2.156......................2.157
1/8.........9.060......................8.907
1/4.........14.022 @ 97.249.....13.758 @ 105.532
Weather in the evening : ~69 F (19C)

I've actually beaten him later when he removed the slicks but he had a 2.6xx 60 ft time and ran 14.3xx so ... :/

Still, I had a chance to beat a WRX and a M3 pretty bad. Never had the chance to race the 350Zs and mustang GTs even thought my times were faster than most of them ..

The car would have been able to do better than that, I can assure you! Well, guess I need to go back there ;)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
damn dan... i wish you lived nearby.. do a couple of runs street or track, anyway bad ass times like always.. congrats..

oh yeah just remember you cannot beat teh THREEFIDDY

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
nice runs dan, keep it up :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
nice to have you back dan.....great times and they will only get better as you get back in the grove.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
groove?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
wow so the warmer temps made a 5 mph difference on your trap speed? very interesting.

nice run!

also FYI it you hit the cold/neutral limiter what's happening is the tires are spinning too much and the ecu thinks you are free reving so it turns the limiter on. :gap: so basically you're just a lil outa practice and that will go away.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the comments.

00silverGTS6spd said:
wow so the warmer temps made a 5 mph difference on your trap speed? very interesting.

nice run!

also FYI it you hit the cold/neutral limiter what's happening is the tires are spinning too much and the ecu thinks you are free reving so it turns the limiter on. :gap: so basically you're just a lil outa practice and that will go away.
Glad to know what the problem of early rev limiter was. Your conclusion is highly possible. I started to think something wasn't fine with my car.

Hope the track will be in better condition next time. Or I will absolutly need to change my launch technic.

I knew someone would remark the low trap speed on those runs (compare to last year). I would not conclude it's only a matter of temp however. I was trapping 100+ mph last year w/ temp in the 70s so .. Maybe they changed their trapping calculation system and average the last foots .. like most of the track do. That's what I would think. Also, note that my setup isn't exactly the same as last year. It can affect trap speed but I'm not too sure how .. I no longer use my str8 pipe, I keep my custom exhaust on the car. I've put back the front res. I have a lightweight battery (maybe 20 pounds less) but I've added some weight also (custom exhaust, front res., rear ST sway bar .. for about 10 pounds more maybe). Plus, my friend Johnny's pulley ..

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MaxCelicaTRD said:
Do you think the pulley had affected your time Dan!!! We should meet on the track someday...The day when I'll drive my GT-S ;)
Yes it did affect the times somehow. I believe the car can be significantly faster with the pulley. And I kindda prooved it althought its not that obvious since I hit 14.02 w/ crappy traction on a 69F day. With good traction and similar temp, I was slightly slower than that last year. The pulley seems to help both low end and high end power. Low end seems the more obvious since we dont have much power down low. On last tuesday, I would think the pulley had somme kindda bad effects on my E.T.s. The added low end power was probably transformed in more wheel spin right a t the launch .. I need more traction to really see how this mod improve quater mile times. Traction was worst than it was last year at 44F!!! More than one people told me they were .1 to .2 sec slower than usually that night although weather was OK .. and I believe most of the 60ft were pretty high .. that's why I accuse the track prep ..

As for the track day, that'd be great. You in a gts + johnny and me!! I think 3 fast gts at napierville on the same day would be a record :gap:

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
what you ran now...
60' ........2.156
1/8.........9.060
1/4.........14.022 @ 97.249

what you ran in the past
13.96 @ 102.1 mph

so from what I understand is you gained 10 lbs and lost 20 and added the pulley.

you were slower at the 60' tied at the 1/8 and slower at the 1/4????

explain to me how the pulley made you faster?

I'm not intentionally trying to bash you or anything. I just see this as false advertising ;) also you're makin up excuses as to why you were slower when it's really obvious you're just outa practice.

we all have bad days. nothing to be ashamed of :) you'll do better once you get back to racing more often.

oh yeah I cant believe its 69 degrees by you. It's still freakin hittin triple digits here lol

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
oh yeah I'd still like to see you guys run. when you gonna find someone with a video camera?

also just a thought. you could prolly call the track to see if they've changed the way they calculate the trap speeds. they should have that information on hand. that would be very interesting to know.

to be fair I had more power, lil more weight, head wind and higher elevation (1200 ft) and best I could run was 14.0 :(
www.ksbservices.com/mevsmustanggt.wmv

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for the pulley ..

First, I compare with my runs at about the same temp. Or I include the temp factor comparing with the 13.9s I ran. As you whish.

Second, traction was poor compare to the results I had last year.

Third, my best run wasn't the best I could have done.

So, I figured out that I should be faster with the pulley in the same conditions with the same driving. I really feel an improvement from the pulley. But, thats butt dyno ..

Anyways, this is all speculations right now. I now realize I should never have written some thoughts on this board without having real numbers to show. Next trials will tell us.

Finally, I agree I was kinnda rusty last tuesday. Even if I tell that track prep was poor, I take the responsibility of what I run. So, 14.02 was the best that I achieved in the conditions I was running. I believe the car has more potential. And I also believe I should have ran faster even with bad track prep. Obviously, I'm not satisfied of myself, I thought it was clear from the beginning. My better runs were not the best I could have achieved and consistency was poor. I'm the one who was driving and I'm the one to blame if the final result isn't where it should be..

I'm not the king of all and if some guys like 00silvergts6spd think that I dont take responsability for my bad performances .. they don't know me at all.

Video of a quater mile run isn't obviously a really important thing to me but if I have a chance, I will ask some guys there to take vids of my runs ..

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I agree! you couldve done a bit better. might wanna keep a closer eye on the rpm you shifted at on the 3-4 shift cause that couldve caused you to be a tad slower from the 1/8 to the 1/4 marker.

I'm just trying to help ya out. You've always pulled about the same 60' from what I remember so I dunno how you still say its track prep.

everyone knows I post as I think so a lot of times I come off like an a$$ but eh $hit happens.

at least I offer to help lol I could just say screw you, You suck lol But I dont say that cause I think you've got a lotta potential given the conditions you have. I shouldnt be the only one running good times. :gap:

oh I was lookin at the numbers again and I would say you would run another 13.9 if you find out what you did wrong after the 1/8. pull a 2.0 60' and you could crack a 13.8 ;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
dan, what's your best 60' ever?

you have d/r's and you also are in the 2.15's, I've had a couple now but the way I did that makes it really easy to repeat over and over, how exactly are you launching?

I know all about crappy tracks... one of the places this year I went to didn't even spray the waterbox. Dry burnouts are no good for d/r's imo.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally posted by TRDGTS026spd
groove?
yes, in Canada, Michigan, and other inclimate areas, "grooves" are worn into the track, a result of the cars having to run snow tires with chains in the winter.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
00silverGTS6spd said:
You've always pulled about the same 60' from what I remember so I dunno how you still say its track prep.
You're right, the 60ft on this run is about an average 60 ft that I usually do. High 2.0 to low 2.1 being my bests 60fts.
But you only analysis my first run. After this run, I was like, not bad for a first run in which i shifted in second a lil too early to my taste cause of some wheel spin at the end of first. Rest of the race was good but I can shift faster and better than that. It's been almost a year since my last results!! Like you basically said, I was hoping for some high 13s after this run. But then, the fun began .. What you can't analysis is the tons of other runs where traction was worse!! Launching at 3k while still spinning at the end of first isn't funny at all!! It's hard to decide when to shift and releasing throttle may cause more damage than anything so .. Anyways, a good racer is fast and consistent no matter what the conditions are, so i wasn't good that night.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Liqquid said:
yes, in Canada, Michigan, and other inclimate areas, "grooves" are worn into the track, a result of the cars having to run snow tires with chains in the winter.
Funny one!! Want some pix of my celi with chains doing burnout that actually makes more fire than smoke?? lol!

My best 60ft ever is in my sig .. 2.069. I've never been constant at 2.069. Typical good launch being low 2.1 with a couples of high 2.0.

Honestly, I've always said that launching the car wasn't my strong point. So don't take my words as they were the absolute way to launch. lol!! To each is own technic. Shifting is clearly where I think I shine usually. I have found after trying different things that pure drop at a certain rpm (usually between 4k and 5.5k (5k being the classic with a nice track) depending on track conditions and temp) was the best for me. I was able to hit about the same 60ft by slipping the clutch but I was less consistent and less confortable. Plus, I dont want to cause over wear on my clutch!! So I decided since then to use pure drop. I may then use some throttle modulation if necessary but it isnt usually necessary if I choose correctly the rpm I launch at. End finally, I basically floor it as soon as I feel I have enought grip. A point that must be below 6k to avoid wheel spin to the cutoff. And, even tho I previously thought you want the tires to grip right before lift, I have found it's not right. The tires need to grip before that. I cant remember what was the best typical rpm for the tires to hook up tho. If I keep having traction problem like that, I wont have to choice to do some clutch modulation ..

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
when I had stock ECU I launched it off the 7100 limiter. always pulled 2.0's dumpin the clutch. I'm not too good at feathering the clutch. just doesnt work out for me.

now I launch at about 8300 rpms which significantly lowered my average 60'. I went from 2.05's on good runs and 2.11 on bad runs to 1.9's on good runs and 2.05's on bad runs.
I'd say my most consistant 60' time is 2.05. 2 outa 3 runs I usually pull that same time lol then I always have one thats either 2.11 or 1.9 lol

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by 00silverGTS6spd
when I had stock ECU I launched it off the 7100 limiter. always pulled 2.0's dumpin the clutch. I'm not too good at feathering the clutch. just doesnt work out for me.

now I launch at about 8300 rpms which significantly lowered my average 60'. I went from 2.05's on good runs and 2.11 on bad runs to 1.9's on good runs and 2.05's on bad runs.
I'd say my most consistant 60' time is 2.05. 2 outa 3 runs I usually pull that same time lol then I always have one thats either 2.11 or 1.9 lol
shut up you're still slow... oh HELL YEAH.. now its MY turn to be in ONE of those moods

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.