NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some 10-12 troops have been taken prisoner by Iraqi units in Soutern Iraq. There is a tape of these prisoners being shown on Al Jazeera TV. Now that the video has been showed why isn't any American media outlets showing this video? Most of the US news outlets were raving on about how it's against the Geneva Convention to parade POWs in front of cameras. I completely agree with that; but it's these same media outlets (MSNBC particularly) that parade Iraqi POWs in front of US television screens. Last night I saw something that really pissed me off. This IDIOT MSNBC reporter was walking from one Iraqi POW to the other completely humiliating the already broken soldiers. At one point he stoped in front of an Iraqi soldier hurdled in a blanket and proceeded to pick up items around the soldier and held it up to the camera and commented on what the items were; All the time the camera zooming in on the soldier's face. It reminded me of a zoo keeper showing off his new Chinese panda. Let's be fair and balanced. If they are rightfully complaining about American POWs being paraded in front of cameras, let's not do the exact same thing in the name of RATINGS. That's the exact reason I prefer to watch ITN, BBC, and other foreign press than the American ones. It can be said Al Jazeera is a propaganda tool of the Arab world, but somethings I feel like CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC are the opposite for the US.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
4CyLSiLvACeLi said:
we do not torture iraqi POW. iraq, on the other hand..... please pray for the soldiers :(
I know that...My point was there seems to be a double standard in the US news coverage of POWs. It's against the Geneva convention to parade POWS in front of cameras whether it be Iraqi or American soldiers; And my prayers are with those US servicemen captured.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those pows are being interrogated on camera by Iraqi government controlled t.v. Ours are being filmed by international news media. If we restrict access to them we are suppressing the truth. We are not placing them under duress and having them read off propiganda.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
sandmangts said:
Those pows are being interrogated on camera by Iraqi government controlled t.v. Ours are being filmed by international news media. If we restrict access to them we are suppressing the truth. We are not placing them under duress and having them read off propiganda.
Good points, but I must play the "Devil's Advocate". What of the 300 plus Afghansis STILL at Camp X-Ray? That, too, violates the Geneva Convention, but the US maintained that they could conveniently reclassify the individuals and skirt the convention - which I don't think the US ever signed anyway... Or was it the Hague. Maybe both of them, but we "agreed to abide by them" without signing. Strange.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Chui said:

Good points, but I must play the "Devil's Advocate". What of the 300 plus Afghansis STILL at Camp X-Ray? That, too, violates the Geneva Convention, but the US maintained that they could conveniently reclassify the individuals and skirt the convention - which I don't think the US ever signed anyway... Or was it the Hague. Maybe both of them, but we "agreed to abide by them" without signing. Strange.
What does the Geneva Convention have to do with the Afghani situation?

http://www.nationalreview.com/lowry/lowry012402.shtml

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thanks oldster.

(now to ensure that this never gets out to EAYOR OT, kindly swear upon your soul that you will not reveal my net-ignorance to another... uh.... soul...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts