NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing a significant amount of soot around the oil fill cap between oil changes.

Thought it was that the cap wasn't on tight enough, but I have been tightening it more and more (with a screw driver and a hammer) and that hasn't fixed it.

Doesn't appear that the threads on the valve cover or cap are stripped, so I'm not sure what it could be.

Anyone had to replace their cap because of this, and did that fix it? I was also thinking that the PCV valve may be leaking (have never replaced it before, but upon pulling it, it appears to function correctly), but the soot is around the cap.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
i put a o-ring on the cap, got it from a autozone, stopped the oil around the filler neck significantly
Bingo!

90% of the time it's the cap gasket that goes brittle and doesn't seal anymore, tightening doesn't help, only makes it worse as you are stretching the gasket beyond its capability.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I wipe the area clean during every oil change, and use a funnel, so there is never any spillage.

And engine degreasing is a no-no, especially on a car with considerable mileage on it. All it will do is remove beneficial deposits that have built up at various places in the engine that prevent oil leakage and burning, and you will lose more oil in between changes.

And sludge shouldn't be an issue with frequent oil changes (I change mine every 3,000 miles).

The O-ring sounds like a good idea, I'll have to pick one up on the way home from work tonight.

Anyone know the diameter off the top of their head? If not, I'll just measure myself when I get home.

Thanks again.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts
You can try flipping the gasket or get a new one (90430-37140)..... and check your PCV valve.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'll be surprised if you didn't crack the oil cap.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And engine degreasing is a no-no, especially on a car with considerable mileage on it. All it will do is remove beneficial deposits that have built up at various places in the engine that prevent oil leakage and burning, and you will lose more oil in between changes.
Not inside the engine, degrease outside the engine. Get your engine bay clean... and it usually will stay that way unless you spill or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts