NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just looking for the basic information on how much my ticket will be. I was nailed dead to rights. 97 in a 65. I was hit with dual stalker. I also was wondering if anyone knows if New York tickets will show up on a mass insurance driving policy. I know Rhode Island isn't connected to Mass. My radar detector didn't even beep once. So I guess it's time to get a new one. Hell I still question if he even got me on radar. I was speeding but I thought I was doing 90, and he even asked me if I knew how fast he had registered my speed on his radar.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's my understanding that license points are only by state. So if you get a ticket in another state you don't get points off, just a huge fine instead. No points off, no insurance penalty.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hit on route 90 going down a nice hill in the great town of Chatham. I went and looked up the radar online, and almost every site says this is by far one of the best radar guns out there. And it's extremely exceptional in being able to not get detected by radar dectors.
Im going to plead not guilty and write a letter. Hell, at worst they will give me a court date, and I will just pay. I hope it wont show up on my insurance here in mass. Im going to call an insurance company now. I'll let you guys know what they say.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crap. The insurance company said because it was a ticket from a state trooper, it will most likely show up. But if the ticket was written from a local cop, it most likely wouldnt show up. She said there is still a chance that it won't show up. It's not at good as 50/50 but there is a chance it wont show. I guess we will wait and see.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
xtccrush
Drive it like you stoleit and then cry when you get caught speeding...JP

yeah im pretty sure you just get points in that state....not your home state. i was in court and a guy had his driving priveledges suspended just in NJ ( he was from NY)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by iMouseGTS
It's my understanding that license points are only by state. So if you get a ticket in another state you don't get points off, just a huge fine instead. No points off, no insurance penalty.
Yea well I was caught doing 80 somthing in VA on my way back from SC. It was a county cop and all I had to do was mail in the fine. It turned out to be like $275 and I didnt get any points here in NJ so it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
im really hopeing that is what i get. I figured it out to about 320 by mass standards. But i was told in NY if you speed by over 20mph the fines change. Im going to just send a letter requesting a trial by written declaration. I dont even know if you can do that in New York.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
As far as your radar detector... cops can laser your car in a minimal second and catch ur speed... some radar detectors do not have this feature... my friend just got this wicked expensive one that catches everything.

As far as the officer asking you how fast you were going, its a common question of a cop. When i got pulled over during my first month of havin my license for doin 55+ in a 35 residental zone, when i lowered my window, he asked me how fast i thought i was going. I was lucky to get a warning!!! But also, this cop hit me with a laser, cause i was driving down a hill around a corner, the cop was comin from the other way saw me, flicked on the laser, flicked on the lights and sirens, pulled a 180 and started after me.

Speaking of tickets.............:furious: :furious: :furious:
The other day i was driving in Connecticut to Bradley Airport to take pics of planes flying for my digital phot class at school and i guess in the terminal area i took a left turn at a light that isnt aloud... and so a state trooper gave me a ticket for $95.00.
............it sucks to get owned by a super trooper, lol.

-greg

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Originally posted by silverCELICAgt-s
i took a left turn at a light that isnt aloud... and so a state trooper gave me a ticket for $95.00.
............it sucks to get owned by a super trooper, lol.
if there is one of these:

then you definitely deserve the ticket and i feel no pity for you. if there is no sign, fight it in court.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
But there wasnt see thats the thing........... i saw a sign that said no turns... but i looked to my left to where the cars come from on the right and they had one of those signs... so i was like well wouldnt there be one of those signs in front of me instead of a sign saying no turns?
oh well...........95 dollars to the state of connecticut.........now im even farther from gettin my bumper fixed...........:(

-greg

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
silverCELICAgt-s said:
As far as your radar detector... cops can laser your car in a minimal second and catch ur speed... some radar detectors do not have this feature... my friend just got this wicked expensive one that catches everything.
most higher end radar detectors have the laser feature but even with it, it's pointless. it might as well should give you the warning saying "your fucked!!! just slow down to look good" beep out

once your hit wit laser it's over. no matter what radar detector you have your done for

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone ever know of anyone having the phantom or is it the phaser radar detector/cloaker. It's supposed to mess there readings up so they can't get a reading. And the company says they will pay for any ticket you get, as long as it's not more than 15mph over the speed limit.
I talked to a few other companies about this radar and they all said no way it can do this. Id like to find someone that has this and see what they say.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im thinking that this thing only works from 200 feet or more away. If they are any closer there radar gun is too strong and it punches through. That's the thing, almost every ticket I have received were from cops hideing in bushes. 40 feet away. So this thing, If it does even work, would most likely be best on the highway. I talked to valentine, and bell, and they both said no way it wouldn't work. I just wanna find someone who has one. I can get one of those road side radar's set up. My buds dad is a cop. And I can test it out there. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got popped (85 in a 65) in about the same spot a year ago. NY Thruway is brutal for speeding.

I appealed it, follow the directions on the ticket. Went before the Judge in the Village of Chatham. My hearing was actually at like 7pm and the judge was this older lady who was nice but firm. If it is your first ticket in NY, tell em so. They had me speak with the prosecuter, nice lady, said I could take a Driver Safety Course and then send in proof and they would reduce my fine to a non points offense. The fine was still $150 and the Driver Safety Course was like $40, but I took it online. I hate $ wasted on tickets. Try to stress to them that you weren't going over 85, because I think after 20 mph in NY, they treat you worse. Good luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here is my update. I sent in that trial by written declaration thing. And the same day I sent them that, they had already sent me a new trial date. So I waited. And now they have sent me a third trial date. This one say and I quote
"Your plea of not guilty has been received and accepted by this court. Please be advised that your failure to appear oln the above scheduled date will result in the state of New York suspending your right to drive, and the court may require that you post bail before scheduling a new trial date. " That was all in bold face and the failure to appear was all captial. HEEHE. Now I have to go 11/17/04. I guess I will appear, and try to tell them I was doing 85. Ill try to get that no points thing going. I have to work in new york in december so I guess I need to take care of this. I just hate having to take a day out of work for this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts