NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket for racing someone on the freeway.

Can someone please tell me what are the different penalties involved in a Misdemeanor or Infraction? I heard from a friend that a Misdemeanor with speeds over 100 is an automatic 2 points. is this true?

And what is the speed requirement for you to be eligible for traffic school?

·
Registered
638 Posts
first off it the cop wrote you up for racing then you can forget the thought of going to traffic school. how fast were you going and what was the speed limit. a lot of the punisment depends on the judge that you get. for example i got ticket for going 75 in a 15 and the judge only made me pay 50 bucks and let me take driving school, another ticket that i got for going 70 in a 55 diferent judge had to pay 150 and couldnt take traffic school. there are a lot of other facters that go into it as well, pm me and i will go into more details or go to www.ticketassassin.com

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by 2k2blkgts

Can someone please tell me what are the different penalties involved in a Misdemeanor or Infraction? I heard from a friend that a Misdemeanor with speeds over 100 is an automatic 2 points. is this true?

Points vary state to state. In Pa. Racing is 4 I think of a 6 needed to suspend.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I just have to wait for the ticket payment to come home and see if i can go to court and ask the judge for traffic school.

BTW. i was going 120mph in a 65. I was driving and saw another GTS with TRD kit and i waved at him cause i like his car. He didn't wave back and instead decided to downshift and punched it, so i just stupidily did the same. I wonder what year the guy's car was cause i have an o2 with rev limiter and AEM intake. I was able to pace with him and at times taking the lead. I don't think his is an o2 because i noticed that i shift more often than he did.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you were going that fast you should have at least been looking around for cops. Because you got caught, you've proven your incompetence behind the wheel.

Here's what you get to look forward to:

Charge 1. CVC 22348(b)

(b) Any person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense which occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor
Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.
(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense which occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor
Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.
Charge 2. Street Racing

From http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
A first conviction on a street racing violation means:

Minimum county jail sentence of 24 hours and maximum of 90 days.

Vehicle probably impounded for at least 30 days.

Owner responsible for vehicle's towing and storage charges ($1,000 or more).

If owner fails to pay, vehicle could be sold at a lien sale.

Anyone who aids or abets a street race also faces a maximum 90-day jail sentence.
Oh, and 25+ over the speed limit is considered reckless driving.

And you think that you're going to be let off the hook with traffic school? Keep telling that to yourself.

When all is said and through, have fun applying for future jobs.

Edit:

Ticket Assassin won't save you from a 100+ MPH or a street racing charge, the latter being a misdemeanor.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
consider ur self lucky (ur still screwed though) ive known people who have gone to jail and had their car impounded from getting caught.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2k2blkgts said:

If what they are all saying is true I'd get a lawyer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If its your first offense, you can take traffic school. The only problem is you got caught racing. What highway were you racing in?

I got a speeding ticket for going 80mph last August, in a 65 zone, on hwy80 by Fairfield. Traffic was moving 70 to 75. I was driving a red MR2 at the time. The ticket was 195 dollars plus 25 for court fees. Imagine how much you'll have to pay. I'm taking traffic school this week though.

I wasn't racing, but I bought a 100 dollar Beltronics Radar/Laser with VG2 detector the next day. It alerts me a mile or 1/2 in advance. The detector is worth it, since you pay more attention to your speed and you know if someone is watching you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onemph05 said:
If its your first offense, you can take traffic school. The only problem is you got caught racing. What highway were you racing in?

I got a speeding ticket for going 80mph last August, in a 65 zone, on hwy80 by Fairfield. Traffic was moving 70 to 75. I was driving a red MR2 at the time. The ticket was 195 dollars plus 25 for court fees. Imagine how much you'll have to pay. I'm taking traffic school this week though.
I got caught in the same ara.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got caught in the same ara. [/QUOTE]

They have a couple of Speed Traps there.

One is West bound after Fairfield going up the pass, right after the Jack In the Box and Shell station. A motorcycle cop using radar will usually be at the peak as your rounding the right turn. 5 squad cars are up the over pass waiting for his call.

Two West bound in Valliejo at the Marinworld ramp at the bottom of the hill. It will be sitting and waiting. They mostly merge into hwy 80 from there and catch speeders going in both directions.

Three is after the toll. A squad car is waiting at the end of the bridge.

A sherrifs squad car always goes by around 600am across the pass. He will not pull you over, but to alert the other cops.

I used to commute in the area...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts