NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all, I just bought a 2000 Celica GT and I've encountered a slight problem. My speedometer, odometer, and rpm gauges aren't working. AC works fine, gas gauge works and is accurate, but those gauges just aren't working. They were working when I drove the car out of the seller's driveway, but after I turned it back on at the gas station, they stopped working. I've read it could be the speed sensor, wiring, a fuse/fuses, and computer issues. With how quickly and randomly it happened, I feel like it had to be the sensor or a fuse. Has anyone else encountered this exact problem? I can't afford to take it to a mechanic, but I could afford a part or two. Please give this newbie some advice. It should be noted the original owner said he encountered this problem and fixed it after cleaning the sensor, so I'm leaning towards that. But, the fact that my cruise control works fine and the transmission shifts smoothly says otherwise. I'm so confused here. Thanks in advance!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
I don't think the speed sensor is involved with the tach.

Reactions: NewbieBoi76

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had no speedometer ( actually there was no wire between the main harness and the sensor) but the tacho and everything else worked.
Is the temp gauge working, are the instrument dash lights working? There are 3 fuse boxes on these cars I think.. kick panel, centre console and under bonnet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no speedometer ( actually there was no wire between the main harness and the sensor) but the tacho and everything else worked.
Is the temp gauge working, are the instrument dash lights working? There are 3 fuse boxes on these cars I think.. kick panel, centre console and under bonnet
The temp gauge seems to be working fine, and so are the dash lights

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same thing happen to my GTS. A mouse or something chewed through the wires for a couple things. I’ve got pics of the plugs and wires if somewhere if that would help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had the same thing happen to my GTS. A mouse or something chewed through the wires for a couple things. I’ve got pics of the plugs and wires if somewhere if that would help
YES PLEASE. It's been raining where I live so when it clears up tomorrow I'm going to check all the fuses and if that doesn't work I'm going to check that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is what I found plugged in but obviously disconnected. Both went into the transmission. And I lost RPM, Spedometer, odometer, and reverse sensor so not reverse lights.
Flowerpot Houseplant Plant Electrical wiring Gas

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
YES PLEASE. It's been raining where I live so when it clears up tomorrow I'm going to check all the fuses and if that doesn't work I'm going to check that.

Check the multifuse. it's the one with mutiple prongs. if i remember right it had 4 pins. Been a long time since i sold my celica, so memory's a bit vague.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts