NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i see most spring rates are stiffer in the rear than in the front. although some other manufactures have things the other way around. im assuming a stiffer rate in the rear would help handling greatly so why do some have the other way around?
would it be wise to swap in a stiffer rear spring on a coilover setup that previously had softer springs in the rear?

what does the lb/in have to do with it??
does it help with anything?
how much weight it takes for the spring to compress one inch i believe.
but dont quote me on that.

·
Ultraviolent
7,921 Posts
i see most spring rates are stiffer in the rear than in the front. although some other manufactures have things the other way around. im assuming a stiffer rate in the rear would help handling greatly so why do some have the other way around?
would it be wise to swap in a stiffer rear spring on a coilover setup that previously had softer springs in the rear?
on a fwd theyre set like that for comfort, its best to have a higher spring rate in the rear to help the car rotate around the corner better since fwd have a natural tendency to understeer, you can get a similar result if you adjust the dampening settings on your d2 coilovers to soft in the front and really hard in the rear, or install an aftermarket sway bar in the rear only and leave the front bar oem, if you do want to swap springs id recommend swift or hyperco:drool:

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,258 Posts
is anyone could tell me what s H&R sport spring rate is?
Reply from H&R:
front 153 lb/in rear:227 lb/in
drop 30mm front & rear
they are progressive

I also wait answer from Koni for Sport Kit

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,258 Posts
Quote from zzz for KW variant 2

"
Here we go, i found a pic of the springs i took a hwile back.
Front Spring 60-170: 6KG spring with 170mm height
Rear Spring 40-200: 4KG spring with 200mm height
Front Helper 20-60-80: 2kg spring with 80mm height (60mm diameter)
Rear Helper 10-60-80: 1kg spring with 80mm height (60mm diameter)

The front and rear main springs are also 60mm diameter, just not marked for some reason.
"

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Am I correct that an overly high (stiff) spring rate isn't suitable for a DD (i.e., for a car that will drive on imperfect road surfaces), and that you'd only want the really stiff ones for a track car?

What kind of rate would be more ideal for a rally vs normal road vs track car?

Also, besides the TRD's, which others have a progressive rate (initially softer, firmer under greater load)?

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,258 Posts
stiff isnt for a daily driver. For a comfort daily driver I would get swift springs with Gr-2s. Swifts are progressive and really smooth however I cant find them in Europe so I will go with H&Rs. If you want a little better handling go with H&Rs, they are progressive a little stiffer than Eibachs but Eibachs are linear. All these for a DD.

For professional track go for a good expensive coilover, so you can adjust it. I would go for KWs sports (not variant) that can be ordered with custom rates, I would say over 500 lb/in.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
cant find spring rates for goldline springs.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
What are the best spring rates performance wise for a 2000 gts. I'm looking into getting bc coils and I was thinking 8 front 10 rear. Does that sound good? would I need a revalve for that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to add some info about the Raceland coil overs.
Celica: front 275 lbs/in rear 385 lbs/in
I also know there were people who put Scion TC coilovers on from Raceland that have higher spring rates.
TC coilovers: front 370 lbs/in rear 545 lbs/in
TC Ultimo coilovers: front 415 lbs/in rear 600 lbs/in

81 - 100 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.