NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this has been posted on the web, I can post it. BTW, this thing is definitely for real. I've known about it since spring, but I really couldn't say much.

Toyota has been eyeing Nissan's success with the revived 350Z - and apparently, from spy pictures nabbed this week, it's been a little jealous of supercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, too. Toyota 's been caught testing what some insiders are calling the "TXS," a limited-production exotic that might be powered by a V-10 engine worth 500 hp.

Pictures show the TXS with enough cladding to disguise much of its shape, but clearly, this is no Celica or MR2-sized sportscar. Insiders suggest the car will tip in at less than 3000 pounds, giving its 500-hp powerplant (with 370 lb-ft of torque) a serious chance at catching the likes of the Porsche and Benz supercars. Top speed could reach 190 mph, the same league as the 550-hp Ford GT. Whether the drivetrain offers any version of Toyota 's hybrid technology is unknown.

Whether the final vehicle is sold as a Lexus or as a Toyota , it's likely that a limited production run of about 10,000 units is in order. Expect a debut at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show and an on-sale date soon after - with a price tag well over $100,000.

from Autoindex

·
Banned
751 Posts
So, you seem to have the inside scoop on toyota's new cars. Anything in the future to fill the void that the MR-S and Celica will leave when gone? Or are they counting on the Scion line to do that...

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
<-- cant afford it.

If toyota is jealous of how well Nissan is doing with the 350z sales then they should market a car to compete with the 350z.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
That is so awesome, another supercar that I'll never be able to afford. LOL I love my celica, but I know my next car WILL NOT be a toyota.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
WTF! Who ****ing cares about this LMAO! Most, if not all people, on this site are not going to be able to afford a car like that so in all honesty I could care less about it. It looks like it would be a bad ass car but if I had over $100K to spend on a car I sure as hell would not buy a Toyota, not until they get their service department to bow down and apologize for all the stupid crap that they have done to all the Celica and MRS owners.

On top of that leave it to Toyota to get rid of the Celica and MRS because of the lack of sales only to build a supercar that is 100% sure to have maybe 5 sales a year. That makes a lot of ****ing sense. Why waste the time even developing a car like this. Leave the exotics for the people that solely build exotics. Besides I thought Toyota was going to a strictly family oriented line-up now anyways, so what the hell is up with this crap?

Toyota=LAME!

GTSnut said:
Toyota has been eyeing Nissan's success with the revived 350Z - and apparently, from spy pictures nabbed this week, it's been a little jealous of supercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, too. Toyota 's been caught testing what some insiders are calling the "TXS," a limited-production exotic that might be powered by a V-10 engine worth 500 hp.
Oh yeah Toyota has dsefinitely been eyeing Nissan's success with the revived 350Z, the yhave been eyeing it so much that they automatically decided to give this new car of their's a $100,000+ price tag. WTF! Like that is any direct competition with the 350Z! That is just the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. What the hell is Toyota thinking. How does this car even began to be in the same market as teh 350Z? I am not even going to try and explain how stupid Toyota is because they do a good enough job themselves. I mean don't get me wrong they are pretty damn successful but within the last 10 years they have made some pretty damn strange changes within their company.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
DopeCelicaGT said:
...a $100,000+ price tag. WTF! Like that is any direct competition with the 350Z! That is just the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. What the hell is Toyota thinking....
Don't forget, that's the car journalist speaking, not Toyota.

But I do agree with your point that a $100K+ Toyota supercar doesn't make alot of sense. I think a 350hp V8 Supra, positioned between the 350Z and Vette in price would be ideal. I'd also add a cheaper, 260hp V6 Supra to compete more directly with the 350Z.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts