NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How effective are heat shields like this for a SRI:

Clicky

Will it make much difference performance wise?

Also, would it be better if i modified the heat shield by adding another side of sheetmetal at the top of the cone? To stop hot air from the radiator flowing around.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Slim to none. The air under the hood all becomes so saturated by heat soak that even the shields dont work past a point. They do block the direct air from the radiator fans though

·
Registered
243 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
Slim to none. The air under the hood all becomes so saturated by heat soak that even the shields dont work past a point. They do block the direct air from the radiator fans though
:werd: Your suckin in so much hot air that it doesnt really matter, your really not gonna notice the difference, if any.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
I disagree. I have air ducted in from the nose and everything completely shielded around the intake tube and filter -- they stay cool to the touch, even the throttle body is cooler.

I've measured this with temp gauges and find it to be within a few degrees of the wheel well temps (even the wheel well gets heat soaked) and up to 25 degrees cooler than the rest of the engine bay.

Although those few degrees keeping the filter by wheel well will make a difference, it doesn't mean proper underhood heat shielding for an SRI is worthless or no better than the stock airbox.

Anyway, in terms of actual numbers, my shielded SRI netted an extra 3.21 whp and 1.16 wtq over the OEM airbox (which, BTW, also had a cool air duct, so that probably helped a little bit...).

Not a whopping huge gain, certainly, but a CAI is only going to add another 1 to 3 hp/tq over that. Also, I have an AT, so my gain is going to be about 10% less than what an MT will see.

Keep in mind that my shield is a custom design made of fiberglass/aluminum heat shielding and carbon fiber, so there is a bit more to it than the one in your link...

·
Registered
243 Posts
jlitman said:
I disagree. I have air ducted in from the nose and everything completely shielded around the intake tube and filter -- they stay cool to the touch, even the throttle body is cooler.

I've measured this with temp gauges and find it to be within a few degrees of the wheel well temps (even the wheel well gets heat soaked) and up to 25 degrees cooler than the rest of the engine bay.

Although those few degrees keeping the filter by wheel well will make a difference, it doesn't mean proper underhood heat shielding for an SRI is worthless or no better than the stock airbox.

Anyway, in terms of actual numbers, my shielded SRI netted an extra 3.21 whp and 1.16 wtq over the OEM airbox (which, BTW, also had a cool air duct, so that probably helped a little bit...).

Not a whopping huge gain, certainly, but a CAI is only going to add another 1 to 3 hp/tq over that. Also, I have an AT, so my gain is going to be about 10% less than what an MT will see.

Keep in mind that my shield is a custom design made of fiberglass/aluminum heat shielding and carbon fiber, so there is a bit more to it than the one in your link...
Sounds like you have the whole intake shielded, that would be about the only way to go to notice anything, but then you would have to custom fab. everything. You should give it a try and then start selling them, i'll do the advertising and we'll split profits 50/50 :gap: .

·
Registered
168 Posts
he only way to really battle under hood temperatures are ceramic coating and inconel heat shield of the header and exhaust system. You can go further than that with putting a inconel heat shield for your oil pan too... But all these inconel heat shields are for the weak of wallets... I've seen and experience a 70degree under temperature drop with their products

Give Tim Thompson a call his the president of ATP products... Tell him Justin with the Drag Camry sent you ...

www.atpwrap.com

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
celica_2 said:
Sounds like you have the whole intake shielded, that would be about the only way to go to notice anything, but then you would have to custom fab. everything. You should give it a try and then start selling them, i'll do the advertising and we'll split profits 50/50 :gap: .
Yep. I have a little write up on how to make it, you need that 3 ply foil/fiberglass flexible wrap stuff, sheets of carbon fiber, and or carbon fiber cloth (very cool stuff!) some zip ties, a lot of aluminum tape, some shears, and a bit of patience to assemble it, but it works really well! Doesn't look bad either. I'll post a picture of the newest version of the set up later/tomorrow. :D
TheWraith said:
he only way to really battle under hood temperatures are ceramic coating and inconel heat shield of the header and exhaust system. You can go further than that with putting a inconel heat shield for your oil pan too... But all these inconel heat shields are for the weak of wallets... I've seen and experience a 70degree under temperature drop with their products

Give Tim Thompson a call his the president of ATP products... Tell him Justin with the Drag Camry sent you ...

www.atpwrap.com
Wow -- I'd love to do all of that! What's the approximate the price range?

·
Registered
243 Posts
^^Some pics would be sweet...

·
Registered
168 Posts
jlitman said:
Wow -- I'd love to do all of that! What's the approximate the price range?
I dont really know I get my own special price thru Tim ... Give him a call, really cool guy and would definitly help you out... Tim is a really stand up guy and even though he is the President of the company he takes time to really show you around ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts