NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some one tell me the diffrend between ss-II and a gts like house power and 1/4 mile times

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
1/4 mile times should be similar with the SSII slightly faster.

Basically if memory serves me right, SSII comes with suspension upgrade, body kit, different exhaust, LSD, colored matched interior, and stiffer body, short shifter, and maybe HIDs.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
nyoneway said:
1/4 mile times should be similar with the SSII slightly faster.

Basically if memory serves me right, SSII comes with suspension upgrade, body kit, different exhaust, LSD, colored matched interior, and stiffer body, short shifter, and maybe HIDs.
not to flame but i think you are thinging of the m-sport or whatever it is called.

the ss-2 stock for stock, is slightly faster, has a stronger chasis, better suspention, and i think lsd not sure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn so u thing its about as fast as a gts with trd exhuast.

what do they redline at?

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Go ask Predator, he's got a real Jap Spec Celica GT-S aka SS-II.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
SS-II has 190hp!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think that the ss-II has the extra 10hp from a higher compression ratio (12:1 ?). Japan has higher Octane fuel than we do.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
MajorA said:
I think that the ss-II has the extra 10hp from a higher compression ratio (12:1 ?). Japan has higher Octane fuel than we do.
nope the compression ratio for the ss-II isn't 12.0:1, its same as all GTS which is 11.5:1. The SS-II has suspension upgrade only, no lsd. Also it has 190 hp cause over in europe and japan, they have higher octane therefore a little better fuel map than ours.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
The SS-II has suspension upgrade only, no lsd. Also it has 190 hp cause over in europe and japan, they have higher octane therefore a little better fuel map than ours.

The JDM SS-II Celica with its 2ZZGE engine is rated 190PS and not 190HP, which equates to around 180HP (somebody please post a proper unit ratio), this is 140kW. An JDM SS-I has the 1ZZFE engine, rated 145ps, or 107kW.

The only certainty that can be derived here from JDM model name SS-II' is the fact that it uses the ZZT231 chasis, as opposed to ZZT230 used by SS-I (typical 'GT's in USDM).

An SS-II is factory equipped with either super strut suspension or the stock suspension. Whereas a TRD Sports M Celica has a base form of SS-II with super strut, and the only form to have factory equipped LSD.

Apart from the difference in their suspension, the only other significant difference between an SS-II with and without the super strut is in their weight.

In response to earlier posts, an SS-II for certain does not have LSD from factory, although this may be an option offered by JDM dealers during purchase.

In stock configurations, the JDM SS-II with the basic suspension equiped will be identical to a USDM GT-S, apart from a possible slight difference in engine output performance due to different fuel offered in the 2 different markets, and perhaps minor cosmetic difference within the interior. The chassis used is identical with same stiffness (as neither of them is super-strut). An official comparison in dragstrip/circuit lap times has yet to be made, however given their physical differences their quarter-mile times should be identical.

Although there is a difference between one equipped with super strut and a stock SS-II with all the aftermarket TRD suspension components, Sports Compact Car magazine has done a comparison between the latter to another GT-S with stock suspension on straight-line acceleration. The GT-S with TRD suspension parts was actually slower, possibly due to its weight penalty. However I would think the improvement brought on at tracks/circuits conditions will much more than compensate this.

For difference between SS-I, SS-II and SS-II w/ super strut, refer to: http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Celica/spec/main.html

·
Registered
637 Posts
SS-II:

right hand drive
digital centre console *stock*
10 more hp *stock* (app. 190hp)
LSD *optional*
super strut suspension *optional*

the increased hp is because of the de-tuning issues that the American Celis have to go through. Japanese laws are less restrictive.

the main physical differences are on the interior. Here's an inside shot of mine:

those are the basics. Hit me up if you need more detailed info.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dose any one know were i can get those ss-II plactic sticker for the baack of my car like my red gts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
PS to HP multiply the PS number by 0.9859. so the JDM celica engine has 190PS x 0.9859= 187HP. I'm pretty sure if you ran 100 octane you could get close to those numbers at the flywheel.

WHen SCC dynoed the 350Z with 91 octane and 100 octane and got about 5 HP. Here's a quote from the website.

"The 350Z laid down a healthy 244 hp at the wheels, but we suspected that our crappy 91-octane gas was hurting performance. We were right: With 100 octane, power climbed to 249 hp. All acceleration testing was performed with 91-octane gas."

Here's a link to the whole article.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0210scc_350znissan/index.html

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Thanks for laying some useful and concrete info GTS808. Most ppl that I know (including myself) have been too lazy to learn the PS to HP ratio.

An example is a friend of mine who used to tell me just to "take away 10" while converting PS to HP, which we now know is really as vague as the term 'vague' can imply... Then there're others who just interchange PS/HP figures at will without really acknowledging them, which admittedly may only differ little, but to some of us trying to squeeze just a few extra HP from our $$$ mods, could happen to mean a lot =)

·
Registered
120 Posts
SS-II has front "wishbone" suspension. Not macphereson strut like the U.S celicas. Therefore it also has different front lower control arms. I know this because a local shop brought in a set of TEIN HA's for a celica (ss-II) a while back and it didn't fit because it came with the wishbone or fork attached to the front struts. That's all I know.

·
Registered
637 Posts
true. The super strut will not fit the US Spec Celis.

friend of mine just tried this on his GTS the other day and had to send it back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Predator, may i ask what suspension you are using on your celica? If you tell me you have the front trd superstrut shocks i will jump through the roof, those things are 1000Us per shock. Are you using lowering springs?if so what are you using? I am thinking of using USDM Eibach springs, kyb agx rear adjustables, and stock superstrut front shocks:violin:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What wouldn't fit when trying to convert a mac. strut GT-S to super strut? What parts did he order? I'm guessing you will need new upper and lower contrl arm, spindle, subframe, strut, and perhaps a new steering rack arms aswell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts