NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on my new GT-S, and I have a few questions:

1) The service article mentions a "Special Service Tool" that is required to remove the oil filter. Is this a special tool I need to purchase seperately in order to to do the oil change?

2) I'm going with a synthetic oil as I've heard it's beneficial to the engine. Is Mobil 1 Super Syn 5W30 a good choice?

3) On my old car I always used Fram oil filters. Is this a good choice for the GT-S, or should I go with another brand or should I pay the extra $$$ and buy one straight from a Toyota dealer?

4) In step 3d., what do they mean by "Apply clean engine oil to the gasket of a new oil filter?"

Just wanna make sure I do this right the first time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
1. The SST is probably just an oil filter wrench to hold the filter instead of removing it by hand. As long as you don't overtighten the filter, you'll never need it.

2. I think most people here use Mobil1, and they have no problems with it, so you'll be fine.

3. 90% of Fram filters are junk. Just use the OEM Toyota filter from the dealership or even a Mobil1 filter.

4. There's a rubber seal on the oil filter. Just spread some clean oil on it to help it make a complete seal when installed.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
1. The SST is probably just an oil filter wrench to hold the filter instead of removing it by hand. As long as you don't overtighten the filter, you'll never need it.

2. I think most people here use Mobil1, and they have no problems with it, so you'll be fine.

3. 90% of Fram filters are junk. Just use the OEM Toyota filter from the dealership or even a Mobil1 filter.

4. There's a rubber seal on the oil filter. Just spread some clean oil on it to help it make a complete seal when installed.

Basically

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Blue Bomber.

I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to purchase a genuine Toyota oil filter straight from them. I don't mind spending more for a better filter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
yeah go with the mobil 1 and toyota oem filter... try to get the denso made in japan one if you can... if not the made in usa purolator one is ok i guess... don't ever use Fram on another one of your vehicles again.

·
Registered
504 Posts
why no fram?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
fram has had problems with some of their filters not working right. can't remember exactly what went wrong, but i know they've had problems. also, Joseph, you need to know that once you go synthetic, you can't go back to non-synthetic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts