Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone from newcelica.org

my name is Max and im from Montreal Canada

i got 2 remarkable toyota cars that i wish to share with you

i got one ae86 completly redone, with new jdm 4age blacktop

and i just recently was able to find a celica 89 st-162 with a little 70000km

i bought it from the sister of a friend who bought it from and old woman who won it in a loto a long time ago.

the old woman never drove the car and was kept in a garage for 15 years.

when she bought it, the car had 15km ( and im not joking )
now 4 years later, the car has a mere 70000km and its in A1 condition

now my big question

is it possible to swap a 3sgte from a celica 98 and put it 4WD?

i would like to know what i would need for the swap. and to be 4wd :D

thank you all :D

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:moved:

The swap should be doable. 89 AllTracs came with a 3S-GTE engine and AWD tranny stock, so it should hopefully just be a matter of finding the right OEM parts to do the swap.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
wait so is your car an alltrac? Because I am confused if it is it doesnt need a 4wd conversion which is kinda hard to do but as for a 3sgte you should have no prob putting in a newer one into that. The power potential of the 1st and 2nd gen 3sgte's aren't as good as the 3rd generation of the engine

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
it wouldnt be worth your time, just sell the 162 and buy a 165. no point in hacking up a good alltrac to make your 62 one.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
canton_ph34r said:
The power potential of the 1st and 2nd gen 3sgte's aren't as good as the 3rd generation of the engine
I wouldnt say that, the mr2s have the 2nd gen of the engine and so do the 185s which have their own potential too.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yes they are good as well and I would say if the most power you would want is 400 I'd stick with a 2nd gen since. It's mostly the transfer case or whatever its called that usually breaks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Youd have more of a better answer at a different forum as there isnt many older gen enthusiasts over here and not much knowledge of the 3SGTE engine and drivetrain found in a 4th gen celica, but to put it frankly it isnt really doable.

The whole rear end is different. The rear body tub its shaped different and allows for the drivetrain and its reinforced to hold the differential. The rear suspension geometery is diffrerent and beefier to deal with the torsional load on the rear tires and the yaw the AWD system produces. The structural integrity of the car could be compromised if you didnt do it RIGHT, and the entire rear portion of the car would be a custom job to get it right, and even with doing it custom your tolerances have to be IN SPEC or you will tweak the body or your suspension will screw the tires or something will just break.

Guy on my forum tried doing it with a 4th gen coupe and it drove and all but he said it just didnt feel right and he didnt trust it. Hed rather just find a 4th gen alltrac.

Apparently the conversion is MUCH easier to do on a 6th gen celica to convert it to ST205 GT4 because of the way they built the body on that. Ive seen a few successful swaps there, but 4th and 5th gens dont take the conversion well just due to all the crap you have to do and do right. It would be an engineering nightmare and youd have to have some serious skills or know a shop with serious skills and patience to get it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.