NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why but once in a while, while coming to a complete stop, my car seems to shake very violently, and the RPM like goes up from .5 to 1.5, and down again, for like 5 seconds. I swear it seems like it's gonna stall on me. Does this happen to anyone else and how do i resolve this?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Does it happen after you guys try to shift? For example going from L>2>D>O/D

·
Registered
248 Posts
It happens to me every once in a while as well. It actually did stall one time. It hasn't happened since last summer though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this happen to me too. I have stalled it out once. I immediately took it back to the dealership to have them check the computer on the car, but they couldn't find any error code.
Since then I've gotten the shuddering a few times, but haven't stalled it again.

I can't reproduce it, but it seems to happen (at least to me) when the weather is warm and I've just gone from 4th to 3rd to a complete stop in a relatively short amount of time.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
haven't had this in 34k miles and overdue atf change *knocks on wood*

it does rumble at idle though, but no crazy rpm fluctuation. just the cricket/bird nest duet making a racket underneath the hood (belt tensioner)

·
Registered
47 Posts
It happens to me when i drive it hard (using gear 2 a lot) on the highway and then go into an area that has higher humidity and higher elevation. After I come off the highway to a stoplight the engine shudders a bit.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
it happens to me once in a while also. last time it happedm i was i was driving down from one of those a small bridges that are over freeways. well i was braking a bit to slow down, and all of a sudden, the rpm meter went from like 1.5 all the way to 3 and gradually went down really slowly. its pretty weird.

·
Registered
404 Posts
this happends quite often (prob once a day) in my manual gts. the mechanics from toyotas in my area always give me a hard time for the aftermarket parts i have so i haven't gotten a chance to find a place to take a look at it yet. i hope it's not too big of a problem

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
thank doggy! it happens to me too, and i was told it was cuz the CAI

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
i've stalled it but usually when i am going in reverse slowly then neutral than into gear

not a neutral drop because i am just coasting and there is not much rpms

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean i don't wanna get the car checked out at the dealership because they are gonna say it's because of the aftermarket parts and they won't touch it. I had a bad incident with my local dealership before and swore that i would never go back there again!!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
GTS-POWER said:
I mean i don't wanna get the car checked out at the dealership because they are gonna say it's because of the aftermarket parts and they won't touch it. I had a bad incident with my local dealership before and swore that i would never go back there again!!!!
:werd:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
heres some stuff that may help:

If this is more common after you fill your car with gas you may be overfilling, or have a defective ORVR valve allowing liquid fuel into your charcoal canister. What happens then is when the EVAP system purges under very light load (coasting or decelerating to a stop) It hits the intake with a blast of liquid fuel instead of the vapors the ECM was expecting and it can bve enough to stall or almost stall the car.

Additionally teh Mass Airflow Meter and Idle Air Control Valve can cause similar issues, bu they tend to be less intermittent than the problem above.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am having this stalling problem daily with my 01 Manual GT-S. The CE light comes on, then goes off by itself. I did take it into the dealer a couple weeks ago when the CE light did actually stay on for a complete day, and they were able to pull codes 440, 441, & 446. They say they tested the fuel tank to make sure it held pressure, and that it passed, and they couldn't get the car to stall on them.(3/24)
It has now been 2 1/2 weeks and the car has stalled daily, and the CE light has come on, then gone off by itself, and it is really starting to frustrate me!
I am 90% sure it is a problem with the fuel system, because even when the car is "appearing" to be working normally, there is sometimes still a long lag time before the car actually accelerates after going to WOT. And just today I was in 3rd at about 4k rpm's, and I hit the pedal to WOT, and the engine totally bogged down, and started choking, and didn't "come back" till I let off the gas a bit, once I let it rest for a second or two, I went back to WOT, and it worked. But this is really starting to piss me off, and I wish there was an absolute fix to this, or an easy way to replicate the stalling problem, but I have been unable to find a good pattern to it in the last two weeks. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!
Thanx!

--Robert

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
my cousin has an auto gt and it does the exact same thing, not all the time but every now and then. Could it be a dirty mafs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts