NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am having a problem where, on cold days (usually around 40F and below) my started doesn't seem to disengage properly. I turn the key and everything starts just fine but for about .5 to .75 seconds the starter winds up to the same RPM as the engine and then disengages (rather than disengaging when I stop turning the key). I am concerned primarily because of the back current that can be generated by the starter when it is wound up that high.

I checked the pinout from the ECU and it shows that the port E3 pin 11 is the "12V Starter signal (during crank position)". If that is true then (I assume it also runs through a fuse before reaching the starter) the ECU is connected to the starter fairly directly. As with most micro-controllers, inside the ECU should be a HBridge chip to supply the necessary voltage and current from the battery and not the microchip itself (to avoid damaging the microchip). But these chips usually have a voltage/current rating to them (it might be less than the rating of the fuse) and if the back current is enough it can possibly kill that chip and then I am out an ECU.

The reason I am worrying (nothing has been effected yet) is that it seems to be getting stuck for longer periods of time as the weather gets colder.

All of this is to say that all of the starters I have seen for the 2000 gts are pre-engaged high torque (through gear reduction) starters. Is it possible that the starter solenoid is bad or perhaps the starter motor itself is bad? If the starter solenoid is bad then is there a way to change that without changing the starter motor?

I am currently info hunting and I have a good idea of the theory but I have no working experience with the starter, so I appreciate any advice and opinions.

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
its really nothing to worry about, untill it goes out. its a little tired could be eather the motor or the solenoid., its getting cought on the flyweeel (or ring gear auto trans) or the solenoid is sticking. as far as i know you cannot buy a rebuild kit for starters anymore. just use it till it goes and replace it.

you think a slow moving starter is bad? i have to use both hands on some cold morning to shift gears in my truck lol

i would think we all have gear reduction starters to save on wieght

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,664 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

After all the looking around I kinda came to the conclusion that I am going to let it stay as it is and change it when it dies. One thing that (somehow) failed to register in my mind is that we have been making cars for decades now and many hours are put into designing them. Somewhere along the line someone must have thought "lets make sure this giant electric motor is not going to destroy the ECU". I will put my confidence in the car (after a little more investigation perhaps).

Thanks for the information.

you think a slow moving starter is bad? i have to use both hands on some cold morning to shift gears in my truck lol
^^ then how are you steering :confused: lol. It certainly does save weight getting rid of copper coils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts