NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 celica GT, came out the other day and when I tried to start it there was nothing, not even a click. I had purchased a new battery a little over a year ago and didn't think it was that but I tried jumping it (nothing) and checked the battery and sure enough it was still good (had charge). I've owned the car for 12 years and the starter had never been replaced so I assumed it was the starter that was the issue. I read what I could find online from others about replacing the starter.... there was not a good online repair video for my year/model but there was some info and (as usual) most of the difficulty was getting access to the 2 bolts that secure the starter. The bottom bolt was of course easy to locate, the top was not... and as others had said it was not easily accessible but after removing the battery and a few other items I was able to locate the top bolt, removed it and then removed the bottom bolt. As others as stated it took a 14mm wrench which I used to remove both bolts.

This is where I ran into my issue in that when I removed the bottom bolt and the nut for the solenoid connector, the starter wouldn't budge, I could not get it off even after various attempts. I've replaced starters before and have never had an issue on not being able to remove the starter once I had the bolts removed. I then assumed I had removed the wrong top bolt but it is the only bolt I could locate so I'm pretty sure I have the right one. I included a pic of the general location of the top bolt, could not get a good photo as it was just too cramped to get the camera in there.

I've included a few additional pictures - any help from you more experienced mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
What useful feedback....not.
I told u im not reading the great wall of china. I dont know what issue ur having but without breaking it up im not gona read it.

The starter is 2 14mm or 15mm bolts a plug and a small 10mm nut, make sure you unplug the oil pressure switch the wire will get snagged.

One starter bolt goes through the transmission case, the other threads through the engine. Remove the air box and ull have plenty of room if you have real tools hand tools, that doesnt mean a walmart or biglots ratchet set.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told u im not reading the great wall of china. I dont know what issue ur having but without breaking it up im not gona read it.

The starter is 2 14mm or 15mm bolts a plug and a small 10mm nut, make sure you unplug the oil pressure switch the wire will get snagged.

One starter bolt goes through the transmission case, the other threads through the engine. Remove the air box and ull have plenty of room if you have real tools hand tools, that doesnt mean a walmart or biglots ratchet set.

2000 GTS Turbo
Thanks, appreciate it.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,879 Posts
Use a penetrating oil on the tranny bolt. Trust me... Been there, broke that...

• Wow
Reactions: Gottcel03

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy crap massive text walls.break those down into much smaller sections and ill read it. As of right now i aint doin it

2000 GTS Turbo
There are two bolts
I have a 2003 celica GT, came out the other day and when I tried to start it there was nothing, not even a click. I had purchased a new battery a little over a year ago and didn't think it was that but I tried jumping it (nothing) and checked the battery and sure enough it was still good (had charge). I've owned the car for 12 years and the starter had never been replaced so I assumed it was the starter that was the issue. I read what I could find online from others about replacing the starter.... there was not a good online repair video for my year/model but there was some info and (as usual) most of the difficulty was getting access to the 2 bolts that secure the starter. The bottom bolt was of course easy to locate, the top was not... and as others had said it was not easily accessible but after removing the battery and a few other items I was able to locate the top bolt, removed it and then removed the bottom bolt. As others as stated it took a 14mm wrench which I used to remove both bolts.

This is where I ran into my issue in that when I removed the bottom bolt and the nut for the solenoid connector, the starter wouldn't budge, I could not get it off even after various attempts. I've replaced starters before and have never had an issue on not being able to remove the starter once I had the bolts removed. I then assumed I had removed the wrong top bolt but it is the only bolt I could locate so I'm pretty sure I have the right one. I included a pic of the general location of the top bolt, could not get a good photo as it was just too cramped to get the camera in there.

I've included a few additional pictures - any help from you more experienced mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

There are two bolts fairly close to each other on the bell housing where the upper starter bolt is.
If it doesn't fall out when you take two out, you probably missed the upper bolt.
I took out the air filter box so I could see and get to the upper bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are two bolts

There are two bolts fairly close to each other on the bell housing where the upper starter bolt is.
If it doesn't fall out when you take two out, you probably missed the upper bolt.
I took out the air filter box so I could see and get to the upper bolt.
Thanks, so are you saying that the additional bolt on the upper bell housing somehow also secures the starter? There are only two bolts that hold the starter in place in looking at the replacement starter....one bolt that goes through the transmission case, and the other that threads through the engine.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,879 Posts
One goes INTO the tranny - use penetrating oil in it.

The other goes through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts