NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! Iam brand new to the board and have just purchased a 2000 GTS. I plan on running it in SCCA and was wondering what mods you guys would do first? I plan on putting on a new exhaust, wheels/tires, body kit, and coil overs. Any suggestions on which to do first would be very helpful. My buddy runs a 350z and doesnt know to much about the celica.
Thanks RyanB

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I assume you mean you're going to run in Solo II? From your mods, I guess you're probably going to run in STS class.

My first suggestion is to forget the body kit. You're most likely going to scratch it up.

The first thing you should do is get a really good set of tires. Everybody and their stepbrother runs Falken Azenis (including me). There are better tires, but they also cost almost double.

Then go get a custom alignment at a shop that knows what they are doing. Toyota dealers, Midas, or any such chain store is not where you want to get an alignment done. They SUCK. They won't do alignments out of spec (which is what you need) and they won't be exact.

Then I would get a set of front and rear sway bars and a front strut bar. Then alignment again.

Then some better brake pads.

Then intake and exhaust.

Then coilovers with adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All that sounds fine, but here's the order I'd attack with

tires are certainly where you want to start...nothing makes more of a difference than the right tires...and if you are going STS, it is indeed hard to beat Azenis

After that, suspension...what you do here depends a lot on what you're willing to deal with on the street.

After that, little things like intake and exhaust for a bit more power.

I'd worry about brake pads last (unless you're oem's need replacing anyway)...the stock brakes are excellent...some other pads may give you quicker bite and better modulation, but tires/suspension are head/shoulders above as difference makers.

And I'd scratch the body kit, too...probably just extra weight (the enemy) and more surface on which to get cone marks.

Head to the autocross forum if you want to get into more specifics.

Bryan

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
NoCones and Fourgig mean business... listen to them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.