NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, if one had been issued a traffic ticket and didn't pay / appear in court, what is the statute of limitations for failure to appear in court for that ticket?

·
Registered
346 Posts
if you dont pay the ticket, then they suspend your DL and you have a warrant for your arrest(just till you pay it). I dont know what the statute is though....

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by gains238
if you dont pay the ticket, then they suspend your DL and you have a warrant for your arrest(just till you pay it). I dont know what the statute is though....
if the ticket was issued in another state. the suspension doesnt follow.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Statute of limitations means the period of time before charges are filed against you.

Charges were filed when you got the ticket. As soon as you don't show up for court, or X # of days have passed and you don't pay, a Judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

Statute of limitations is for things like criminal offenses like assault, or financial situations like suing another for debt owed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That is not what statute of limitations is. Don't feel bad. The original poster has no clue what it means! To say what is the statute of limitations on a ticket makes no sense at all. Statute of limitations means the time period after a law has been broken where charges can be filed. After a certain period of time without filing charges, it is like the crime never occured. When you get a ticket, the charge has been formaly made against you. So statute of limitations is no longer an issue. Now what I think you are really asking is how long after not appearing in court will something really bad happen to you (i.e. when will you get beat down by the man). It can happen immediately once you miss that court date. You could already have a warant and most likely the fine for the ticket has trippled.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Automaton
That is not what statute of limitations is. Don't feel bad. The original poster has no clue what it means! To say what is the statute of limitations on a ticket makes no sense at all. Statute of limitations means the time period after a law has been broken where charges can be filed. After a certain period of time without filing charges, it is like the crime never occured. When you get a ticket, the charge has been formaly made against you. So statute of limitations is no longer an issue. Now what I think you are really asking is how long after not appearing in court will something really bad happen to you (i.e. when will you get beat down by the man). It can happen immediately once you miss that court date. You could already have a warant and most likely the fine for the ticket has trippled.

in pa, the fines get a few bux added on as time goes by.

Originally posted by teletubbies
how about you didn't pay an out of state ticket or Canadians didn't pay US ticket and vice versa?
Then you have a warrant in THAT state. I have a valid driver's license in PA. As ive been recently pulled over on philly. BUT I have a warrant for a few fines in NJ. Missing court, etc.

I recieved a notice that the warrant will not/cannot be enforced over statelines, but if i am caught in NJ I will be arrested.

I am in the process of resolving this issue, but the point is, an out of state ticket warrant wont be enforced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts