NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have regular rubber brake lines (or whatever material it is) and having just replaced my right-rear caliper and bled the lines, my brake pedal is very stiff and extremely responsive now. I dont know as I would benefit from steel lines. I dont track my car (though I'd like to get into autocross next summer) but I do some spirited driving occasionally.

What say you all?

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
over time the rubber will begin to soften and deteriorate. the reinforcement of the braided line helps prevent swelling and loss of stopping power. if everything is fine leave it the way it is. but for the money the upgrade is worth it in the long run

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
over time the rubber will begin to soften and deteriorate. the reinforcement of the braided line helps prevent swelling and loss of stopping power. if everything is fine leave it the way it is. but for the money the upgrade is worth it in the long run
werd, check the FS page there is some1 selling the SS lines cheap

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I hear, and I don't doubt it, but the lines probably have never been replaced and Im up to 160k miles on the car....

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
That's what I hear, and I don't doubt it, but the lines probably have never been replaced and Im up to 160k miles on the car....
then i can almost guarantee that your rubber lines have expanded if there is that many miles on the car. if you can get the used set then I would. so long as the fittings arent stripped there is no reason you cant use a secondhand braided brake line. hell a new set is like $139 shipped.

·
fools runnin a Honda 2000
3,854 Posts
You don't need it but if you have a few bills to spare. Stoptech steel braided brake lines are really good.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Actual stopping power and distance doesn't change but the pedal is firmer and easier to modulate. It's only $100 and you'll get a chance to flush out ALL the old brake fluid when you install them so it can be worth it.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Actual stopping power and distance doesn't change but the pedal is firmer and easier to modulate. It's only $100 and you'll get a chance to flush out ALL the old brake fluid when you install them so it can be worth it.
If the line is swelling when the system becomes pressurized then you are losing stopping power because some of the pressure from the pedal is being lost in the expansion of the worn out line instead of being transferred into the caliper piston

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
But, as I said, the brake pedal is very very stiff and extremely responsive. It feels new.
I wouldn't be too worried, that just means your lines are about to snap and cause you to careen off the highway into an embankment that will surely kill you and any occupants in your vehicle. The thing to remember is you never ever want to do preventative maintenance. Only deal with a problem when its right on your door step.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't be too worried, that just means your lines are about to snap and cause you to careen off the highway into an embankment that will surely kill you and any occupants in your vehicle. The thing to remember is you never ever want to do preventative maintenance. Only deal with a problem when its right on your door step.
Lol yeah yeah yeah. I imagine I'll get em some day soon but, I just wanted to know if there were any immediate benefits on top of my seemingly perfect lines.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
If the line is swelling when the system becomes pressurized then you are losing stopping power because some of the pressure from the pedal is being lost in the expansion of the worn out line instead of being transferred into the caliper piston
Not really, the lines only expand to a point and it's very little. I've bled brakes on Mercedes from the mid 80's with original brake hoses and watched the lines under pressure on and off. They move very slightly, but only very slightly, then stop. Any expansion halts and that pressure goes right back to the task at hand, they're not balloons inflating infinitely. The constraining weave of kevlar/nylon (back then some other fiber, maybe fiber glass or some nylon) is very strong once that little bit of slack has been taken up. New rubber lines have nearly zero slack, very old rubber lines have some but not that much. Even when the other protective sheathing has rotted off and you can SEE the constraining weave layer at work, there is barely any movement and that movement stops at a predictable point every time. As I said, there is no difference in stopping power, only a difference in feel. Imagine it as the difference between rubber shifter base bushings and solid metal shifter base bushings. The rubber bushings shift fine, the metal bushings shift fine. The metal bushings feel better and are more accurate and do not degrade over time. Same thing with the rubber lines but even degraded rubber lines very rarely fail. Outside of abrasion I've seen one rubber brake line fail in 5 years of doing this 8 hours a day 5 days a week. One line on a Daewoo Nubira that looked like it had been twisted at some point during a brake change by someone.

Is he going to suddenly have the feel of carbon/carbon brakes by changing the lines? No. Will he get the old shitty fluid out and possibly bleed some air in the system? Yea, and that could be the better feel now. There could be a bad wheel cylinder that's leaking a little fluid and sucking a little air once in a while or his master could be pulling a little air or maybe his brake fluid got low and a little air got into the system. Bled the air, brakes feel much better. Does he NEED to get SS lines? No. Should he if he can afford them? Sure why not. They feel nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts