NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have an 00 GTS but sold it a few weeks ago for a STI :) I can't deny that I've been having way more fun! :D

Anyway, last night was pretty interesting. Four races vs two different Evos.

The first one:
2006 Evolution MR (HKS intake, HKS exhaust) my friend's car
2005 WRX STI (bone stock) me

Launched from a stop around 5k rpm with DCCD in AUTO, smoked him no problem. 2nd race, same result. :) Fun times.

Second one:
2006 Evolution IX (5spd version, some kind of exhaust system) some dude I met

Rolling start around 30mph ish. He had a faster reaction this one mostly because his buddy was doing the countdown in the car with him and I had to look over at them. Evo smoked me by about a car length.
Second race, same rolling start. I get off the line quicker, smoked it by about 2 cars.
Third time around, he told me I was supposed to be starting in 2nd gear but I tell him no way, I'll start in whichever gear I want to.

The secret is, Evos have 21psi and 286lb-ft of torque at 2500-3000 rpm whereas the STI isn't even spooling yet until 3000 rpm. So it would've been unfairly in his favor.

But it was a fun night overall. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good runs. BTW The Evo IX's max boost is 20.16psi at 3500rpm, 85% or the torque is avalible at 2500rpm. Are they tuned?? if not it's a waste and most likely loosing power with the intake. Intakes and VTA BOV's are the worst mods on a IX they hurt the cars performance or drivability, and most people seem to do them first. Any plans with the STi??

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
I used to have an 00 GTS but sold it a few weeks ago for a STI :) I can't deny that I've been having way more fun! :D

Anyway, last night was pretty interesting. Four races vs two different Evos.

The first one:
2006 Evolution MR (HKS intake, HKS exhaust) my friend's car

Launched from a stop around 5k rpm with DCCD in AUTO, smoked him no problem. 2nd race, same result. :) Fun times.

Second one:
2006 Evolution IX (5spd version, some kind of exhaust system) some dude I met

Rolling start around 30mph ish. He had a faster reaction this one mostly because his buddy was doing the countdown in the car with him and I had to look over at them. Evo smoked me by about a car length.
Second race, same rolling start. I get off the line quicker, smoked it by about 2 cars.
Third time around, he told me I was supposed to be starting in 2nd gear but I tell him no way, I'll start in whichever gear I want to.

The secret is, Evos have 21psi and 286lb-ft of torque at 2500-3000 rpm whereas the STI isn't even spooling yet until 3000 rpm. So it would've been unfairly in his favor.

But it was a fun night overall. :)
so when you going to find out how fast you really are?
(irwindale's open every thursday, and california dragway is now open for street legals)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Illusive said:
so when you going to find out how fast you really are?
(irwindale's open every thursday, and california dragway is now open for street legals)
Sometime soon after I recover from making this month's car payment :gap:

When's the next time you're going?

Don't I need a helmet... since it's running faster than a 13 (in the 1/4)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nudge1201 said:
Good runs. BTW The Evo IX's max boost is 20.16psi at 3500rpm, 85% or the torque is avalible at 2500rpm. Are they tuned?? if not it's a waste and most likely loosing power with the intake. Intakes and VTA BOV's are the worst mods on a IX they hurt the cars performance or drivability, and most people seem to do them first. Any plans with the STi??
Both Evos aren't tuned and you seem to be right on the head with the Intake/BOV thing because that's exactly what my buddy went for first. LOL..

My first mod will be a Cobb AccessPORT w/ Stage1 map. Then a dp like Illusive suggested. I'm not sure on that though, I want to pass smog when the time comes. But I guess I could always swap w/ stock when that occurs...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
Both Evos aren't tuned and you seem to be right on the head with the Intake/BOV thing because that's exactly what my buddy went for first. LOL..

My first mod will be a Cobb AccessPORT w/ Stage1 map. Then a dp like Illusive suggested. I'm not sure on that though, I want to pass smog when the time comes. But I guess I could always swap w/ stock when that occurs...
UTEC is your best friend and will spank the **** outta cobb any day. with their new firmware about to be released it rivals, and beats a good number of standalone systems.

other than that, changing the CBV to a BOV is just noise, and only problems it had were with the 1g/2g eclipses. apparently the new turbo vehicles work around it very well. also, an intake on any vehicle will always give performance, even without a tune, and more with.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah its all on the driver when it comes to STI vs EVO MR. the ix is slightly less advantaged

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:

you have to actually run faster than 8.59 before you need a helmit at irwindale ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
Sometime soon after I recover from making this month's car payment :gap:

When's the next time you're going?

Don't I need a helmet... since it's running faster than a 13 (in the 1/4)
dont worry you wont run faster then a 13 if you are still stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.