NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
edit: uploaded high res pics to imgur incase the forum ones were downsized:
Hey fellas,

My positive cable/term has been in rough shape for years. Now it is definitely needing to be addressed and I have some time finally.

I searched around alot as usual but most posts just dealt with relocation projects.

It appears to be atleast partly stock but maybe it was worked on by a mechanic in the past. The cable itself has some signs of corrosion creeping into the wire. The terminal itself looks toast as well.

My car electronics/amp is stock so the goal is to restore the cable/terminal rings to stock specs. OEM terminal seems cheap enough, any advice on what you guys would do in a situation like this? I can solder, dont have a crimper but can buy any tools suggested. I know there is the main terminal wire plus two smaller wires with ring terminals on the stock positive harness so I may have to address all three wires due to corrosion creepage, yea?

Will keep researching and will update if I find anything.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Clip the wire ends, peel back a bit of wire insulation, crimp on some new - correct size connections (use vice grips or a crimping tool), add some solder to secure the connection, wrap any exposed wire ends in some electrical tape. I like the OEM connections vs the aftermarket ones. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers dentman, will go ahead and do that. Will update in the near future with results.

The pos terminal oem pn is 90982-05035.

For the other end of the wire I can't find the exact end connectors/rings. I think that is sold with the entire harness? Any idea if these connectors are sold separately? Will look around and make some calls meanwhile, will update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have the length on the wire I would use good lugs and heat shrink with glue to keep out corrosion. I would go with the military type connectors also. Do a search the site isn't allowing me to post a link on my first post. I have used them and they are great. You can do your negative also. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye, was going to use the heatshrink for battery cables like you mentioned.

Due to the corrosion being an issue for many years I was thinking it may be a good idea to remove the positive cable harness from the car for inspection, but it appears to be tied in with another harness or two, haven't found much info on removing it online or in the manual. Will have to give it a closer look under the hood.

Attaching a photo from ebay of the positive battery harness for reference, haven't found any other pics online so maybe it will be useful for others who read this in the future. Was just going to buy that harness but it had signs of heavy corrosion under the red cap, so rebuilding mine instead.

Attachments

·
Celica Enthusiast
305 Posts
From positive, it goes to the starter, and alternator. You just have to keep peeling back the tape until it comes loose. It snakes behind the air intake. I've had to do this on my GT. Just make sure you tie your new cable to the starter end, so you can just pull it through without having to take off the intake manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts