NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my car makes a popping noise when I come to a stop. It sucks because it happens very often but I can't replicate it when I try to show people. It sounds like it's coming from below the car. It almost sounds like something is snapping in to place. Anyone know what it could be or have heard of this issue?

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took the car to Firestone Autocare to have the oil changed and looked in to a brake job that I had a coupon for. The service was for the front brakes with a resurfacing of the rotors for $100. The lady at the shop says that she will give me a "free inspection" to make sure everything is ok. Go figure. I get a call and she says that I have some hardware missing and it's causing the noises I described above. A $130 bill went to $530. Again, go figure.

I did some research and on JC Whitney they have the hardware for less than $20:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/raybestos-professional-grade-brake-caliper-hardware-kits/p2022660.jcwx

Does any of this make sense? If I'm missing hardware, how would I be able to brake? I'm not very familiar with this area of automobiles (that class is next semester)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Took the car to Firestone Autocare to have the oil changed and looked in to a brake job that I had a coupon for. The service was for the front brakes with a resurfacing of the rotors for $100. The lady at the shop says that she will give me a "free inspection" to make sure everything is ok. Go figure. I get a call and she says that I have some hardware missing and it's causing the noises I described above. A $130 bill went to $530. Again, go figure.

I did some research and on JC Whitney they have the hardware for less than $20:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/raybestos-professional-grade-brake-caliper-hardware-kits/p2022660.jcwx

Does any of this make sense? If I'm missing hardware, how would I be able to brake? I'm not very familiar with this area of automobiles (that class is next semester)
The rattle shims can fall out if you really neglect your brakes. In my experience with Celicas though, when a rattle shim is not in place you'll also hear the pad vibrate with every bump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts