NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone besides myself using these?
I just slapped them on at lunch with some Centric blank Cryo Rotors and got to do the first round of bedding/burnishing on the way home. You have to fade the pads twice when they're new with a long cool down between, after that they're ready to go. This is MUCH different than Hawk HPS which just need 5-6 stops from 40-50 to 10 and a cool down. After doing one round with the StopTech pads I had a good deal of smoke rolling off the brakes when I slowed and they felt pretty faded. After I let them cool for about 2-3 miles at 30mph with no brakes I pretty much stopped short of the red light I came to. I had to pull up to the line, they blow HPS brake pads out of the water in terms of feel. I haven't had a chance to push them but reading reviews on other forums with much faster cars they're pretty well loved. I do run them on my winter driver, even in sub zero temps they stop the car much better than cold Hawk HPS. That's the achellies of the HPS, cold performance or lack of. The StopTech pads stop when they're cold first stop of the day with no drama. The HPS feel slippery when cold, even when you've been driving and they've cooled off.

StopTech pads cost about $40-$50 an axle set
HPS cost about $70-$80 an axle set

StopTech have a 1300F MOT
HPS have a 750F MOT

They both seem to dust similarly, the HPS dust seems to be a little lighter brown, the StopTech dust seems to wash off more easily.

StopTech stop cold just fine
HPS feel slippery cold

I haven't pushed the Stoptech pads yet to comment
HPS do better when warm and somewhat hot but lose grab when they're really hot

StopTech pads are harsher on rotors compared to HPS

I'll update more when I've gotten some more time with them and they're fully run in. I'm still rubbing the machine marks off the rotor faces. I went with cryo treated rotors because of their resistance to warp and longer durability, the StopTech pads can be abrasive more so than the HPS. When you get stronger pads on stock brakes you're dumping more heat into the same amount of rotor, you need rotors which are less prone to warp. I've had fantastic luck with them on the winter car which has undersized brakes.

Second round of bedding this evening on my way home, MUCH harder to fade them and much less smell, no smoke. I really had to work to fade for the second round and before they were fading they were stopping HARD. Like I tossed an anchor out the back of my car, the Z2's were starting to struggle to maintain traction and not lock, once the rears got up to temp I locked a rear or two a couple times and tripped ABS unintentionally. Very firm pedal feel, very fast stopping especially once they're hot. They stop warm like HPS does hot, they stop hot like what I can only imagine a low end race pad does. Outstanding. I'll try to get a good 60-0 panic stop and use the skid pad app on my ipod to record the G's during braking. So far they're quieter too, much less shudder and release noise at low speed.

Still less low speed shudder/judder than the HPS and I'm nearly through the rotor cross hatch. Still stop WAY better than the HPS do cold and hugely better once warmed up. Pedal effort is much much lower for the same rate of deceleration and more pedal pressure means faster stopping, no plateau like the HPS have. I've got no problem tripping ABS even on good roads for a 60-0 panic stop, I'm sure without ABS I'd be locking a rear wheel. Best street pads hands down. The dust even washes off more easily!

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dustier than HPS BUT much better performance. I doubt they'll last as long as the HPS do, but I don't know. They seem to be wearing well considering their performance and dust level isn't awful if you consider them as a performance pad.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're listed on RockAuto under the 'Performance' category as a Centric part number but says StopTech in the description. Available front and rear for GTS and even for the 2000 model year GT with the smaller brakes. I don't want to list part numbers since they can change, someone could end up ordering by a number I posted and order the wrong stuff.

Remember to follow the bedding process as they have it written, I think I found it on the stoptech website or maybe it was in the box. I can't remember now, but the jist of it is that you have to fade the pads twice, letting them cool completely off between. I did it over two days, one day then let it sit over night, then another day and cooled over night again. Avoid sitting with the brakes engaged once they're really hot and faded, you can create high spots and vibration. I used the parking brake to hold the car waiting at stops after I faded them the first and second times and also took a good 3 mile no brake use cool down drive to give them a good chance to cool naturally.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I'd bump this, I'd been dailying the Celica for a while and had lost my pad to rotor film layer, rotors got a bit shiny and clean from the low temp braking abrading the film off. Just went out and did about 8 or 10 stops from 60+ (60 to 80mph) to near zero back to back with no cool down and no fading. That's some heavy abuse for stock brakes! After a 2.3 mile cool down the fronts were around 350 and the rears around 250 with nice blue rotors up front and blue rotors with an ash colored gray band around the rears. I think I may have overheated the rear brakes a little bit. I was able to lock the Z2's up on the worn country roads with ease, especially the rears because nose heavy car.

Still giving these pads a big thumbs up for daily driver, canyon carver, and maybe light track use. I'm sure they'd stand up to some autocross sessions a few times a year if they'll do 60-0 at least 8 times back to back without fade. I sure could smell hot pad when I came to the last stop though, I think much more than I did would have began to overheat them. Still, not bad for a street pad.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha yes they do if you don't keep them hot and happy, I've got about 15K on mine though and they haven't eaten excessively. No worse than I see OEM BMW rotors eaten by pads. They get abrasive when ran cold for a long time, like daily driving without bedding every 1000 or so miles.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm rocking the StopTechs on centric premium rotors. I had a seized slide pin on one side, which caused quite a lot of smoking on my first test drive, but after I fixed that (which I should have done in the first place but didn't because I'm stupid), they've broken in perfectly and are totally great breaks. Excellent stopping power for sure. I'll be sure to see how quickly they eat the centric premiums.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea. Problems will cause problems :lol: I try to go through my brakes once a year, I'm slacking this year and need to do so as it looks like the front left is running a little hotter, I can see some ghosting of the rotor vanes on the braking faces. I asked Centric what's the max temp for that e-coat they use, I've burned mine off, except on the rotor hats, a long time ago. In fact that could have been what I was smelling and not hot pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts