NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 GTS with 13,000 miles on the odo. When I start my car in the mornings, I hear slight popping sounds coming from behind the center area of the dash at idle. Almost as if there's a mouse moving around back there. When I drive off slowly from a light, the noise changes to something that sounds like water trickling in a sink or water sloshing around in a pan behind the dash. This first happened only in the mornings, but now it happens almost every time I start the car after letting it sit a while.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chowder

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,866 Posts
Definitely sounds like your coolant is either low or has air in the system. Pop your hood, take off the large black piece on the left side of the engine bay (push center of clips to release them). Right near the hood latch, there will be a small container with pink fluid. There are markings on one side showing the correct fluid level.

If the coolant is low, get a bottle from Toyota (make sure it's the same color) and fill it to the correct level. If not, there is a white plug on one side of the container. Drive the car till it's warmed up, then unscrew the plug. Air should come out of the hole when you remove the plug. Do this a few times until the air stops coming out. This should solve your problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The same thing is happenening to me too. I don't think it is the coolant because the car has been serviced a number of times and the sound remains!

I have read on here somewhere before that someone was able to fix this problem, but I can't find the thread. It is the 'water' sound that I have noticed, only seems to occur as I take off.

Let us know how you go with the coolant.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I heard that .... ends up my water pump was leaking on my tensioner.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
try do a search on coolant. this problem has been mentioned before somewhere...if you dont top it off correctly you get the sounds because of the air in there. or something. it sounds like im talkin outta my ass, but im pretty sure there is a thread that can better explain this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine was quite a bit below the LOW line! I thought that was pretty strange since it was serviced by Toyota 5,000km ago (about 2 months) and they 'apparently' checked and topped up all the fluids.

Apparently when the car is warmed up, the level should be a bit over the FULL line and should be between low and full when cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The service rep at the dealer told me that the level will always fluctuate. He also told me that it's a sealed system and that I shouldn't have to add any coolant. I told him to add it anyway. He added about 3/4 cup of water, and I haven't heard the sound since.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
yes it is a sealed system.....i flushed my coolant the other day, and then went to check to make sure the level is good when the car was hot, it was a slight bit below the full line, so I decided to add a little, when i opened the cap, the pressure released immediately (like opening a can of soda), and the level dropped way below the low level......

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have the exact same problem. i went to the dealer yesterday and the only thing he did was to spray a little grease on that part. the squeeling went away for about 10 kilometers, but then the squeeling sound came back and it worsened it. i'll be back at the garage very soon for the 15k inspection and i'll tell them to replace that damn thing. i'm getting a headache from all this squeeling and squeeking sounds. ;-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.