NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an idea, tell me if you think this will work. I want to hook stobes up to my factory alarm. If I hooked up four interior stobes to the door locks (open) position, when the locks open or are broken open they should go off right? I know that every time the doors open they will go on too which is kinda cool. I'm also going to throw them on a switch. If you guys think this will work, which wire from the door locks should I splice? Or is there an easier way?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Umm, make sure you isolate the power for the strobes from the factory wiring. There was a post a while ago with wire colors:

DOOR TRIGGER|red/white *3 |- |drivers kick |
DOME SUPERVISION|red/white |- |driver kick |

Basically, you can use this wire in conjunction with a relay to trigger your strobes. Experiment with it first, though.

Curt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks Curt. I'll give it a shot. Hey, do you know how to wire a relay? I've never done one before. Can't be too hard I would imagine...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice J3adSeed. Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does this sound for my wiring:

Picturing a relay:
Left: Door Lock +
Bottom: Battery +
Right: Ground
Top: Strobe +
Middle: None

Looks like this should work but I'm new with relays... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. The way you have that setup, you will only trigger the strobes when you hit the lock button. But they will only stay on as long as you hold the lock down.

I was thinking that you wanted it to be triggered when you open the door. You will need to use the door trigger wire to trigger the relay to trigger the strobes. If you are not in a hurry, I can tap some wires tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find something that will work for ya'. Or better yet, if someone else has an idea.

Curt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Curt, you know what I'm trying to do. Does this setup look right for the most part? With the exception of the door wire... is everything in the right place or do I have these switched around?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hopefully your relay has numbers on the bottom of it. This is how I see you doing it:

30 - 12V (+) from battery
85 - door trigger
86 - + or -
87 - 12V(+) to strobe

Basically, 85 and 86 are for your triggering source. I know that if you apply a ground to the RED/WHITE door trigger wire, you will turn the dome light on. Now, I haven't tested this, but I would think that when you open the door, there will be a ground on that wire. If that's the case, you could run a 12V (+) on 86 and it should trigger it. Like I said, I'm just theorizing about it right now. It's raining outside, so I'll have to test it later. But I will check it out and get back to you tonight. If you have a voltmeter, you could check it out, too.

Curt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. Appreciate all the help. Raining here too so I can't try it now. Let me know of your findings.

gEorge

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought of another question. Since I'm also trying to get my neons on the alarm too... is it possible to just throw the neons on the same relay as the strobes? or should it be on its own?

gEorge

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
George, it stopped raining. I went out and checked it out. First question, do you have the factory POS alarm? If so, you can use the red/orange wire for the door trigger. Or, if you have another door trigger wire, go ahead and use it:

30 - 12V (+) from battery
85 - door trigger
86 - 12V (+)
87 - 12V(+) to strobe

You can link pins 30 and 86 to save on wire. And since you are using a relay, add as much to the ouput as you want. Well, upto 30-amps of course. I tested the setup I just stated, and it works. The relay goes click. :)

Curt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot for the help. I'll give it a shot!

gEorge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts