NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. so my car is completely stock. i want to do some suspension mods first. my gt-s is a daily driver and i'd like something that will help the handling noticeably, but that has the least amount of height drop. btw, i'm not very experienced with suspension, especially since this is the 1st car i've considered modding, so if u could elaborate on ur suggestions (like why one's better than another) that would be really helpful to me. oh and ummm price.... let's say no more than $1500. any input is appreciated :thumbup:

-aaron

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the order i would go;

1) New/Better Tires ($320) - No matter what you do to your suspension, unless your tires are respectable you won't be impressed. I was in that position when i installed a Hotchkis TVS 3 kit on my celica with worn stock tires - lol.

2) Hotchkis Street Sway Bars ($200) - These will put a smile on your face when you push your car hard around a corner. There are some other brands but i think hotchkis makes a good quality resonably priced combo. Bottle has the best deal i've seen on these.

3) Spring Strut Combo ($500) - I'm sorry I can't be more specific on the spring/strut combo - i have coilovers so i'm not to familiar with the other setup. But someone here will jump in.

4) Front Strut Bar ($150) - Go for one of the lower cost solid bars. They are stiffer and cost considerably less than something like the Hotchkis strut bar with built in camber plates. As you are not lowering your car much camber won't be a problem.

If your interested in getting your hands dirty i would suggest going and buying some good quality tools, jack, jackstands, and then doing the install yourself - its not hard you just need the right tools. For the same price as the install you'll get a bunch of tools and some valuable experience.

My 2 Cents.
-Aaron

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by abilko

1) New/Better Tires ($320) - No matter what you do to your suspension, unless your tires are respectable you won't be impressed. I was in that position when i installed a Hotchkis TVS 3 kit on my celica with worn stock tires - lol.

2) Hotchkis Street Sway Bars ($200) - These will put a smile on your face when you push your car hard around a corner. There are some other brands but i think hotchkis makes a good quality resonably priced combo. Bottle has the best deal i've seen on these.

3) Spring Strut Combo ($500) - I'm sorry I can't be more specific on the spring/strut combo - i have coilovers so i'm not to familiar with the other setup. But someone here will jump in.

4) Front Strut Bar ($150) - Go for one of the lower cost solid bars. They are stiffer and cost considerably less than something like the Hotchkis strut bar with built in camber plates. As you are not lowering your car much camber won't be a problem.

If your interested in getting your hands dirty i would suggest going and buying some good quality tools, jack, jackstands, and then doing the install yourself - its not hard you just need the right tools. For the same price as the install you'll get a bunch of tools and some valuable experience.

My 2 Cents.
-Aaron
it seems like everyday i meet someone else named aaron..... thanks for ur input. i do in fact plan on doing this myself, i have everything i could need for DYI modding. i'll definately take what u said into consideration. but i am open to more suggestions.

-aaron

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The springs with the smallest drop are the Tein H-Techs (around $110). .8" drop all around and stiffer than stock. Pair them up with KYB AGX adjustable struts ($360). Both together will improve handling significantly and won't drain your wallet. Next up would be Hotchkis sways ($250) and tires (???) like abilko said. Those will make the greatest impact on handling, and you'll feel like you're driving an entirely different car. :D Strut bars would be last on the list, since they give the smallest improvement in handling feel, but are still noticeable. Probably moreso after your suspension is modded due to the added stress on the chassis. I'd go with either RMM/APC, Carbing, or APR for the upper front ($50-$190), Cusco for the lower front ($90), and Hypermotive 3pt removable or C-Once/Beatrush 3pt for the rear ($150-325). In the end, you should be under $1500 (before installation) and have a car that will eat up any corner you can throw at it. :thumbup:
:werd:
You can save a ton of money by installing the springs, struts, strut bars, and rear sway by yourself (front is a PITA). They're all pretty easy to do if you're handy with a wrench.
Originally posted by jdm-style
tein basic kit = 800
Only problem with that is their minimum drop up front is 1.6", kinda low for what he wants.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you want the least amount of drop, aka 0, go with a set of larger sway bars, or a rear sway bar. These will reduce body roll, and make the car feel far more fun. I'll second the tire comment, get some good sporty tires like Kumho MX's, Falken Azenis etc.
The most important thing however is a good aggresive alignment. Your car will feel much better after that as well.

Also all of these are either cheap or easy to install, except the tires.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:cool: :thumbup: u guys have been really helpful, i really appreciate it. umm i think when i get new tires, i'm gonna buy some wheels too. i'll probably go with 17's. who makes really light wheels? i've heard motegi makes em pretty light. does anyone know of another manufacturer that sells light rims? (i think i'm goin overkill here, u guys have already helped me so much.....)

-aaron

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

My 2 Cents.
-Aaron

what he said.. tires are the most important.. but if you tires are still new than skip to number 2

·
Registered
277 Posts
Now look how quickly your going over your budget. lol I guess thats how it works. SSR comps are my personal favourite for light wheels however, they very light and thus very expensive,

Some of the 5zigen wheels (FNO1R-C) are a good comprimise of weight/cost. <- My personal choice.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Now look how quickly your going over your budget. lol I guess thats how it works. SSR comps are my personal favourite for light wheels however, they very light and thus very expensive,
:werd:
You could go over budget with just rims and tires. ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Check tirerack.com. They have them for $388 + shipping for the complete set. I also found them on ebay for $370 + shipping for the set.

·
Registered
792 Posts
beforeyou go the way of springs and struts, look at the price difference between a coilover set up like tein basics and the spring strut combo of your choice. The difference is not all that great and the teins give you full height adjustability. Of course the spend just a bit more idea is a slippery slope to a 1500 coilover set up but you will end up with a sweet suspension. Also ther than tires, sways will probably make the hugest difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts