NewCelica.org Forum banner

Suspension problems please help

438 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Hungster 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have the hotchkis front camber and tein SS coilovers. Right now my coilovers are still making some god awful noise. Well people suggested i put a washer in between the camber plate and the coilover. so i did and it helped a lot, but its still making that noise. We were looking at it, and it makes noise when i turn the steering wheel. I guess the spring turns as well and it makes this awful noise. can someone help me out please???????? its plagued me for like 4 months now. Is the spring suppose to move like that???

#2 · (Edited)
I got the hotchkis camber plates and tein ha's, what I did worked good. You put a washer (big a$$ one, bigest you can find) in between the top of the strut and the camber plate. But get some energy suspension polyurethane grease (it's very sticky yet grease it's the best) and put it on either side of the washer. This grease will stay there good, if you use any other grease it will work of a little while (week or two) but will not last. This stuff last's. Then where the top of the strut comes through and you bolt it in get a thick (atleast 1/4 inch) rubber washer that is tight around the top of the strut threads and wider then the bolt that goes on. Then stick a metal washer inbetween the rubber washer and the nut and put the nut on. Tighten it all down so that it's tight but not extremely tight, you may need to play around with the tightness of the bolt so that the strut is held up tight enought that on rebound it doesn't loosen enough to make a gap and tap, but loose enough to allow you to stear without wearing out the top of the strut and the inside of the camber plate and remove most of the noise.

This worked for me, I tried several things and this was the best solution I've found so far. But make sure you use the energy suspension polyurethane grease, I tried all sorts of grease's (synthetics, thicker, thiner) none of them lasted, only the energy suspension stuff worked of more then a few weeks. The energy suspension stuff lasted all last summer (I took the teins off for winter).

Hopefully this will help.

#4 ·
Hungster said:
wow, this was actually what my friend and i was thinking. i know that the washer i put in there wasnt thick enough. we were thinking about adding a rubber washer, so this should work right??? ima do this next weekend.
the metal washer you put between the strut top and the camber plate doesn't need to be thick it needs to be wide, get the widest one you can find. You want to put the weight and the grease over a larger area so it's more effective and has less pressure points. And don't be stingy with the energy suspension poly. grease, put lots of it on, on either side, and work it around before you put it on.

#7 ·
seriously, man hothckis or tein should tell people this when ordering their products. this is the only part that pisses me off about hotchkis and tein. the noise is killing me, plus there is a little noise in the rear suspension now, it kinda squeks or something. ughhhh, i should have gone with jic magics or something, but i love the way they handle though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.