NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, while I tightened the suspension strut mount bolt, it was broken!
Instead of replacing the whole strut mount, I just want to replace the broken bolt with a new bolt.
However, I can't figure the size out!
I think I cannot find the OEM bolt(I thought Toyota don't sell the bolt respectively)
So, I try to buy a bolt has a similar size.

Anyone who knows the bolt size!

Thank you!
Yohan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think bolt length is not important to me because I can cut it(ex. 72mm 70mm 67mm......)
bolt head: 12mm 14mm and 12.7mm 14.6mm 14.3mm is important to me .. Thank you!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Take the nut on the broken bolt to a hardware store and find a bolt with same diameter and thread pitch that fits it. I think it's M16 1.5 threads per mm (M16 1.5) But not sure. The nut is 14 mm.

The bolt is pressed fit into the top mount, so you have to knock it down. Use a steel rod or chisel and hit it hard with a hammer, then put a rod with a small magnet at its end down the hole and pull the new bolt up.

You can also replace the whole top mount:

Front Strut Mount Shock Absorber Support FEBEST TSS-009 OEM part number 48609-20240

But you would have to take the strut and spring assembly out, lots of work.

All mounting points n the engine are aluminum and easy to strip. Buy a torque wrench and torque all nuts/bolts to Toyota spec. Otherwise you may strip threads and cause more work or your work is unsafe.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How the hell do you get a 14mm nut onto a m16 bolt??
o_Oo_O

Just go to the wreckers and buy a strut with bearing top.

You can also buy them new from dealer or eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the nut on the broken bolt to a hardware store and find a bolt with same diameter and thread pitch that fits it. I think it's M16 1.5 threads per mm (M16 1.5) But not sure. The nut is 14 mm.

The bolt is pressed fit into the top mount, so you have to knock it down. Use a steel rod or chisel and hit it hard with a hammer, then put a rod with a small magnet at its end down the hole and pull the new bolt up.

You can also replace the whole top mount:

Front Strut Mount Shock Absorber Support FEBEST TSS-009 OEM part number 48609-20240

But you would have to take the strut and spring assembly out, lots of work.

All mounting points n the engine are aluminum and easy to strip. Buy a torque wrench and torque all nuts/bolts to Toyota spec. Otherwise you may strip threads and cause more work or your work is unsafe.
Thank you for your reply. I measured the bolt, it was M10(10mm bolt) and M10 nut(With 14mm socket).
I drove with the status, it was fine. However I worried that bolt is short, someday I think it can be troubled. So I try to replace it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How the hell do you get a 14mm nut onto a m16 bolt??
o_Oo_O

Just go to the wreckers and buy a strut with bearing top.

You can also buy them new from dealer or eBay.
Your right.
The car's strut mount is a new oem one! So,,,,, I just want to replace bolt ... So , sad.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Don't think you should keep driving with just 2 bots holding that strut.

Take the nut to ACE hardware store or Home Depot. They have all kinds of metric bolts. Find a bolt that fits that nut.

Knock the broken bolt out and install the new one. Should be easy enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts