NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the aucocross forum but it must be too much of a newbie question because nobody responded:

I recently had a set of H&R sport springs as well as KYB AGX adjustable shocks installed. The springs only drop 1.5" and are supposed to be about 30% firmer than stock. I am still getting used to them and trying to figure out the best combo of front and rear adjustments for the shocks. The shocks adjust from 1 through 4. I have tried the following combos:

1. Fronts-1 Rears-1
This setting seemed too bouncy

2. Fronts-2 Rears-2
This setting was less bouncy but still not firm and crisp.

3. Fronts-3 Rears-3
This setting felt firm and cut back on body roll, but I can tell the tires loose traction sooner around corners with this setting. Is this bad? Does it mean the shocks are set too stiff for the springs? Is there such a thing as shocks being too stiff for the springs?

4. Fonts-2 Rears-3
I just tried this yesterday. It is more like the worst of the previous two settings. The fronts are not firm, and the rears lose traction.

Is there something else I should try? So far I would say setting of 3 all the way around felt best. I haven't tried setting 4 yet. 1 and 2 felt too soft, but on 3 I lose traction around corners. I don't lose control, but I don't feel like I am gripping the road. Is it just my stock GT-S tires?

ALSO

What if I set the shocks back to setting 2 all the way around and just get stiffer sway bars? Will this give me the road grip of softer shocks with the reduced body roll of stiffer sways? Or will the sways just make me lose traction on tight corners also?

·
Registered
464 Posts
From previuus experience wiht adj. shock/struts, i would suggest stiff front and a soft rear. even he springs are matched this way, i'm not using agx, but try 3-4 in front and 1-2 in the rear.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set the front shocks to 4, and left the rears at 3. This helped a lot. Ride quality and handling have both improved. The H&R sport springs are too stiff to use with the lower 2 settings on the shocks. Settings 1 and 2 give a bouncy ride because they arent controling the movement of the springs enough.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Did you try these at an autox? Do you autox your car often? A lot of wheelspin can only be corrected by the driver. A good suspension will not correct a driver flooring it through a corner. Use the settings that are most comfortable for you. Control wheelspin with better throttle modulation.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What tire pressures do you use? What alignment settings? In any case, setting the shocks to full stiff all around shouldn't cause a loss of traction unless something else is wrong. I keep 36-38psi in front and 30-32psi in back on the street with stock size Kuhmo tires. I also recommend aligning the car with somewhere between -1.2

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Front camber is the only one that is horribly off from left/right.

However, IMO, any alignment place that can't get all the setting within +/- 0.01 is not worth your time and money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.