NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GT that I've been autocrossing for about a year and a half. Last year the suspension was all stock, this year I have it completely worked over.

I have the Hotchkis competition front/rear sway bars, front strut bar, 3-point rear strut bar, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and KYB AGX 4-way adjustable shocks/struts.

When I had the shocks/struts installed I had them set al lthe way to 4 (stiffest). Is this the way to go? Or should I be dialing them back to 2 or something? Last race I had more wheel hop than I wanted as I was launching. And I seemed to be having understeer problems. Maybe I just need to slow down, but I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on whether or not I should be setting the shocks/struts less stiff.

Oh by the way I was running about 42 psi up front. Is that too much? Would I get more grip if I went down just a bit?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Need more info...

What tire brand and size.

IMHO the shocks probably need to be on full stiff just to keep the car from being under damped/bottoming out, that doesn't mean you shouldn't experiement.

A big front sway bar can generate all kinds of understeer as well. So can bottoming out the front suspension. So can over driving (as you note).

I'd go back to the stock front bar, but that is a royal pain, so try disconnecting a front end link for a run. The car will probably get some nasty torque steer, and will likely wallow a bit in transitions, but if it loosens up, then you know that the front bar isn't helping how it should.

You can also try softening the front shocks (at least that's easy). In a perfect world that will generate more front grip and loosen the car some. That experiment costs nothing but 30 seconds of time.

Scott

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
set your front sway to the soft setting hence the Hotchkis Comp sways sets in the front. or just use something not that hard so you get more oversteer....getting rid of you front strut bar helps you oversteer too....they give you more understeer.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts