NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 Celica gt with new KYB shocks but bad ride.
Mechanic suggests new front springs. Stock springs mfg is available for $275
History of car mileage for 1984 to 1990 represented by dealer as 7000 may be questionable but after that to date 80,000.
Thinking of paying for stock springs Which would take 5 months to receive.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
1984 Celica gt with new KYB shocks but bad ride.
Mechanic suggests new front springs. Stock springs mfg is available for $275
History of car mileage for 1984 to 1990 represented by dealer as 7000 may be questionable but after that to date 80,000.
Thinking of paying for stock springs Which would take 5 months to receive.
Any input would be appreciated.
Describe the bad ride. The cause could be something else besides the spring

You can look for a complete spring and strut assembly for less than $100 from Rock Auto or Walmart. Should be pretty easy to install but struts are made in China, may not last long.

My last set of KYB AGX adjustable gas struts lasted about 100K miles before they went flat. I just installed a pair of KYB AGX gas strut into old springs with manual spring clamps borrowed from O'Reilly. It was hard to keep the clamps straight turning the screws by hand. They kept twisting out of place and distorted the spring out of the correct position on the bottom and top plates.

Finally I took it out to the local tire shop and used their air tool to screw down both clamps slowly and evenly. The clamps stayed straight, spring compressed, stayed on the correct location. I put the top nut on the top plate. Succeeded in the first pass.

Install into the car was easy, simple.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm sure you've taken care of this by now, but a more helpful resource for your generation of Celica would be celica-gts.com

That board has the folks with the RWD Celicas from 71-85. This site is mainly geared toward the 7th generation '00-'05.

Not that you aren't welcome to post here, but just FYI.

Reactions: 2way
1 - 4 of 4 Posts