NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this yesterday, and I have come up with a pretty simple and efficient method of doing it (for those doing it at the meet this month).

Removing old LED's:

1) With tweezers, pull upwards on the old Led while you de-sauder one side only, pulling only one side up.
(Pull until it is detached from the old sauder. Do this for ALL LED's you plan on replacing).
2) While pulling up with the tweezers again, de-sauder the other side from each LED and pull it completely off.

Adding new LED's:

1) Add a bead of new sauder to only one side of each LED spot (for all the spots)
2) Hold new LED with tweezers, warm up the bead and shove the correct side of the LED into it, making sure it is fairly flat on the board (do it for every LED spot).
3) Add a new bead of sauder to the other side of the LED (for each one, making sure a connection is made).

Note: if the LED's aren't very flat at all, just warm up each side (one at a time) and adjust accordingly.

I hope this was helpful. Once I figured this out, it took no time at all. All the other ways I tried were a pain in the ass, and when you only do one side at a time, you can easily correct mistakes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
that's exactly how i did it roger! except you don't really have to use the tweezers to lift off the old LEDs you can just pull up with pressure on the soldering tip. How do you like'm?

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skreemin_trdgts said:
that's exactly how i did it roger! except you don't really have to use the tweezers to lift off the old LEDs you can just pull up with pressure on the soldering tip. How do you like'm?
Great minds think alike! :thumbup:

I really like the way they look. I was very surprised, as the red goes right through that Amber film and needle. I bought this reverse indiglo gauge face to go with it, so the numbers will be blue. I know, I could have just gotten Blue LED's, but I wanted the needles to be red.

Pre

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have GT. rjautoworks doesn't make it for my car. :angry:

I got these silver ones from e-bay instead. I'm going for blue numbers, red needles. We'll see how it works out.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Hey Beast, are your gauges the "TRD" ones?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts