NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of removing my resonator. I have a high - flow cat and the trial header. i think that resonator is the only restriction to my exhaust setup.

Someone in ecelica.com did this and said it made a nice deep sound. Has anyone else done this? how does it sound? any clips?

I want to make sure it won't drone a lot like the kazuma does.

thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i have not cat, no resonator, and amss header with the TSRM exhaust. I run it with the baffle in the tip and is does sound a little "tinny" and there is a point round 4000 rpms that it resonates in the trunk of a couple 100 rpm. I don't like running it on the street with out the baffle in but on the track I do. I think it's a good compromise to get the extra hp (especailly at the track when the baffle is out) and still be a resonable noise level on public roads. With tha baffle in on my car it's a resonalbe sound level to run on the street, and mine will probably be a little louder then what you'd be doing because I also removed the cat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have this done as well. Only on a GT. I have a hotshot header Res. removed and a TSRM. I love the way it sounds. It's much deeper then before. You will get some back firing when you remove the res. I don't have any clips of it sorry.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
killerm can you describe the sound compared to what it sounded like when you had the resonator on?
Is it the same just deeper? Does it resonate (that kazuma sound)?

War: Did you remove both Cat and resonator at the same time?
did the removed Cat affect the noise level? Any gains in hp?
What did you use to fool the ECU and avoid the CEL?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dimitri said:
killerm can you describe the sound compared to what it sounded like when you had the resonator on?
Is it the same just deeper? Does it resonate (that kazuma sound)?

War: Did you remove both Cat and resonator at the same time?
did the removed Cat affect the noise level? Any gains in hp?
What did you use to fool the ECU and avoid the CEL?

thanks guys
yup removed both at the same time, I don't know how much removing the cat affect the noise level because I did it and the resonator at the same time, but I'm sure it raised the noise level higher the just removing the resonator.

I don't know HP gains yet, I'm just moving my car over to summer/race spec. now and I will be dynoing it once the aem cai goes in, which should be next weekend.

I used at tricked out 2nd O2 sensor with a resistor capacitor series soldered into it. You just solder it into the existing or a new O2 sensor and then install it. It makes the computer think the exhaust that is flowing by is cleaner. I've had no CEL at all. And one would think I'd be more likely then killerm to get a back fire because the cat isn't removing unburth hydrocarbons, but I haven't had any, maybe it's just something that effect the 1zz-fe engine (GT).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, basically it is just deeper sounding. The backfiring could very well be a 1zz thing. I've heard of a few other 1zzs with the same thing. Basically take your exsting exhaust sound and add abut 3dbs and a slight bit of rasp to it and there you go. Quieter then a kazuma but louder then anything else for the car. I've heard a kazuma in person. I'm no where near that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i believe that answers my questions. thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.