NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get springs as I'll be buying 17s here soon, and I was wondering which of those three is the best. The teins are the lowest at about 1.4" drop, and the eibach and TRD are both right at an inch. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well they are all different. If you are running lowering springs on stock struts than Tein is going to wear them the quickest. The TRDs are fine with stock struts b/c they are a less aggressive drop however the Tein will wear them out. If your car is low mileage you could expect anything from 10k to 20K miles before you need to replace your struts with the Teins. I am not really sure about the Eibachs tho, sry.
BTW: Tein are my fav b/c of the drop and the ride is pretty good.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTPhil said:
Well they are all different. If you are running lowering springs on stock struts than Tein is going to wear them the quickest. The TRDs are fine with stock struts b/c they are a less aggressive drop however the Tein will wear them out. If your car is low mileage you could expect anything from 10k to 20K miles before you need to replace your struts with the Teins. I am not really sure about the Eibachs tho, sry.
BTW: Tein are my fav b/c of the drop and the ride is pretty good.
I'm aware of wearing the shocks, but I did do a search and saw some people have been running for a while with lowering springs and the shocks are still good. The eibachs seem to be the most expensive, so unless they balls out offer the best ride, I'll probably go with the teins or TRDs. I saw a picture of a celica with Teins and it looked almost too low. Does anyone have pictures of their car on lowering springs? Please tell me your tire size and what springs you got.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I recall correctly the TRD springs are made by Eibach, so take your pick of the two.

Best thing to do is find out which ones are linear VS progressive. You want the linear ones if you care about performance, progressive for a more compliant ride. Next find out the spring rates. higher # means the stiffer it is. Go with a stiffer spring for performance, softer for a smoother ride. the stiffer and lower spring will wear out your shocks faster.

Dunno if anything's changed since I've been here in regards to the stock shocks but the stockers went noticeably softer after about 10k miles with the stock springs. I'd at least replace the stock shocks with some new stock replacements. Monroe makes a nice cheap stock replacement that I find is usually a bit stiffer than the stock units.

·
Registered
61 Posts
jst07 said:
I'm aware of wearing the shocks, but I did do a search and saw some people have been running for a while with lowering springs and the shocks are still good. The eibachs seem to be the most expensive, so unless they balls out offer the best ride, I'll probably go with the teins or TRDs. I saw a picture of a celica with Teins and it looked almost too low. Does anyone have pictures of their car on lowering springs? Please tell me your tire size and what springs you got.
I just installed the Tein SS-P coilovers (approx 2 inch drop all around) on my 03 GTS. I'm running on 18x7.5 with 215/35/18. I am away this weekend so I have no pics, but will try to post some ASAP.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
there's 2 kits from eibach, pro-kit and sportline. pro-kit is like 1.4 or something. and sportline is 1.8 in the front, and 2.4 in the rear.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have TRD springs & shocks and love the drop. The car still rides OK - not harsh. If you are dropping the car consider a shock upgrade as long as you have the struts removed from the car.

BTW - TRD has a more progressive spring profile than Eibach.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ReL said:
TRD is good but if you want the lower look go for teins
Im not crazy about the lowering, I just dont want to look like an SUV when I put 18s on. I want to keep as much height as possible, becasue theres a number of dips in my town. I know with just an inch drop I'll have to start parking in the street infront of my job...I wont make it up the alley anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts