NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a 2002 Celica GT and I'm having a small problem with the front suspension. While trying to replace the front stabilizer bar links (the old ones are worn) I found out that the Tein SS Driving Master type HA shocks on the front don't have the same configuration as the stock shocks and the stock links (285mm) don't fit, the're to long.
Because this type of suspension is old (I can't even find it on the Tein website) I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the right parts for it.
Does anyone has this type of suspension on their Celica? What type/make/etc. of stabilizer bar links where used? Did the suspension kit came with custom links?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i highly doubt the previous owner went through the hassle of converting from mcpherson to supertstrut if you claim your car truely is a GT chassis. for the 94-99 Celica the ST205 AWD turbo and Celica SS-II/SS-III came with superstrut so availability of seeing those car in a junkyard is way higher then the 2000-2005 celica.

the only celica from 2000-2005 that came with superstrut suspension was the SS-II sports package. us guys over at 6gc have found various parts that are interchangeable from other vehicles since oem parts aren't always best/cheapest to get.

not sure if superstrut celica's got imported to your country, but again i highly doubt it. check here for part number and take this to your local dealer. tcbparts.co.uk

More than likely is no direct bolt on aftermarket end link for the 7th gen chassis superstrtut. but im sure something from another vehicle will fit its just a matter of effort and searching.

and no Tein never sold their coilovers with endlinks.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
In some European countries, the Celica GT are the GTS models here in the states. I've also heard that people switch from the Super Strut to the McPherson cause of cost and availability. The schematic that you posted up is for a McPherson front suspension. You can just get a custom set of endlinks made for it if you really want it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
heim joints and threaded rod with lock nuts, make your own adjustable length sway bar links.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
heim joints and threaded rod with lock nuts, make your own adjustable length sway bar links. The link is straight guys, you're looking at the brake hose in front of the link, look at the end of the sway bar. He just needs a shorter sway bar link, likely can use ones off another model of car or something, Toyota uses a common enough stud diameter anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone. Thanks for your suggestions. It's been quite some time now since i posted my problem and I'm not any closer to solving the problem. I tried many different links and they all touch some other part of the suspension or the wheels. I'm back on the original worn ones because they behave the best. I indeed confirm the SuperStrut configuration on the GT chassis, probably the handy work of some previous owner who got these shock for a bargain and decided to install them. I went to 3 different Toyota dealerships and, unfortunately, most mechanics have never worked on a gen 7 Celica, let alone a Superstrut suspension setup so I received only one suggestion ... to restore the original Mcphearson setup. Does anyone know what parts might be involved in restoring the original setup? I suspect that I'm not talking here only about shocks and springs and the mechanics scratched their heads and said that they need to dismember the suspension and see what's different.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You'll need knee assemblies. Knee= strut w mount knuckle and control arm. Away bar links too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a feeling that this swap is not going to be easy or cheap.
One last question, are the knee assemblies durable ... should I search from them on dismembered Celicas and make a "transplant" using only new shocks, springs, bearings and links?
They look prety solid and most of the Celicas in my area are taken to the bone yard because of engine and transmision problems so the suspension parts should be in working order(except shocks and links).
New, if I can find them, will probably cost me an arm and a leg :)

thx!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Swap new struts and strut mounts and you should be fine, the rest of the suspension is durable. Check the ball joints, they should move freely but have some drag to them. DO NOT buy cheap parts store junk they'll last a year at most.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you mean the stabilizer bar end links or the end links from the steering rack? For the stabilizer bar I am currently using some "S" shaped links that have 150mm length. Unfortunately, they still knock from time to time but are the best option I could find. I am planning to return the car back to the original McPherson setup because who made the modification did a bad job and replaced only some of the necessary parts so I get all kinds of "funny" knocks and scrapes. I think SS was never intended for cars that have the steering wheel on the left side ...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
SuperStrut is a modified McPherson strut with additional links to act in a similar manner as double wishbone suspension, not the same as Mcpherson as the parts are not interchangeable between suspension types. You should learn what you're talking about before attempting to sound like an authority on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey rude person.....I have the factory service manual for the Celica from 2000-2005.... There is only MacPherson struts ....period....that's why the dang dealerships haven't heard of it you genuis lol......so what? You think the factory made a service manual and left out some stuff? Lmao

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe you should make sure that's not for a different gen celica? Could be the problem....but I absolutely refute the existence of a suspension for this car that isn't even listed in the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL.....form the FACTORY lol.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Hey dingleberry, the Celica from 2000-2005 was also sold outside NA where there was SS suspension available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Celica#Japan_2
A service manual for the NA market won't cover that.

Oh look, part numbers and diagrams for a 2001 TOYOTA CELICA (ZZT231-BLFVF)
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_2001_TOYOTA_CELICA_ZZT231-BLFVF_4802.2.html?hl=48066B

JDM only but that shit gets passed around, there's some 7G's with SS swapped fronts in the US and EU, a guy over in the EU or RU makes some dope rebuilds of the SS parts with custom machined goodness at a fraction of the cost of dealer parts and from higher quality materials. Getting parts for SS outside of Japan makes it pretty much not worth it given how many more parts there are to wear out, the cost becomes very very high to maintain it.

Not only that, but LITERALLY THE STRUT IN THE FIRST POST IS LABELED ZZT231 which is the 7th gen 2ZZ chassis designation. Nothing else in the Toyota sphere of cars uses the ZZT23* chassis but the Celica.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts