NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently messed up my motor by probably throwing a rod bearing.... now it is time to rebuild and since I was planning on going turbo I figure why not build the motor for it now. I am going with low compression pistons... probably about 8:1 or 8:5, also im doing crower rods, sleeves... new bearings and so forth.... anyways, my problem is I wasn't PLANNING on doing this just yet and currently dont have uite enough money for the turbo setup I want in addition to the motor work. I was just wondering if it would be ok to drive around N/A with the lower compression and also how much power loss can I expect? Of course it wont be nearly close to stock power, I just want to make sure it will be safe to drive on without the turbo and also want to make sure I wont struggle to get around with it. If anyone knows please let me know!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You'd be going from 11.5:1 to 8 or 8.5:1... that's a BIG drop. You could get away with 9 or 10:1 as most people here have done. I doubt the stock ECU will be able to compute the difference as well and you'd probably get misfires and the like, which are never good, especially for a brand new engine. You'd most likely have to go with a new ECU like the PFC, then get that tuned for the motor as well.

Besides that, nothing more than a lack of power would be what you'd have to worry about.. then just get a re-tune when you get the turbo kit on.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You'll be fine. Smaay drove his stroker around with low compression pistons for quite some time.

And the up side is you will be able to run low octane gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts