NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few guys around where I live (southeast texas) are thinking about starting a four cylinder class for the local dirt/clay tracks around here. We'v been to a few races and would think it would be fun to have a tuner 4 cyl. class. Anyway, my team is searching around for a project car to get for this new series and we would like something that is cheap, and responds well to performance modifications. Any Ideas? I was thinking about supporting the Americans by going with a Z24 Cavalier but not too sure.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Rules?

Forced induction?
Number of cams?
True stock, or stock appearance?
Weight limits?
FWD, RWD, AWD or any?

It doesn't sound like you are ready for this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are working all of the specifics on the rules right now. We are thinking about (since we are all very poor) just starting it all out (since there will be only two cars the first season) with one model, pure stock. All windshields and windows will be removed, and head & tailights will have to be removed & covered. The tracks are oval "clay" (depending if it has rained that day or not) tracks so its different than the parking lot racing. We are really just looking at what cheap 4 cyl. cars are out there before we make the rules for them. What cars will make for a better competition and crowd pleasers to help make it more popular. Price range tops out at around $2,500. If we can get this up and going I think it'll turn out great.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There are a million other 4-cyl series out there at other tracks, are there any that are nearby at other tracks? If so, use an existing rule set so you can have folks come from other areas (no one wants to see a 2 car field - unless one burns before the end of the race).

Old celicas are popular (RWD versions), and are well within the budget. They tend to run against old mustangs and pinto's.

If you want only dometics, then consider the 78?-93? Mustangs.

The cavalier-sunfire/bird twins are a decen't starting point as well (as you have noted). It might also be interesting to consider the Ford Focus.

Scott

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll start looking to see if there are any 4-cyl. classes around here, because we havent heard of any. If this series starts off, I want to keep it true stock. In other words I don't want to go into shell cars because then it's not the car anymore. I want to race on the potential power that the car was made for. I havent looked at the Focus's, figured they would be too expensive. I guess if the crowd gets bored we can rig a fog machine in one of the cars and have it go off. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never been to a dirt oval race, but the excitement to me seems like it would be on the sideways racing action. Don't know how much of that you will get in a fwd car? It almost seems like older rwd cars would be the way to go. I would have to agree with autxr and say that older celica's, mustangs, and pinto's would be the cheap/exciting way to go. I Have a rwd 82' Starlet that weights in at 1800 with full interior that only cost me $1000. That leaves you $1500 to play with for motor and suspension. This sounds like alot of fun, hope all goes well for you guys

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the drivetrain of the cars will be a problem as well as getting other people involved in the class. my plan was to get 2 cars, modify them not to the full extent of possibility according to the rules, but enough to get them on the track on friday night and have a few trial runs in front of the crowd to get interest and attention. i'm worried the cost of everything (modifying two cars, convincing the track owner to let us do some laps on race night, paying to actually run on the track etc.) will be too overwhelming and draw little or no attention/competition. however, we are still in the process of contacting other four cylinder racing organizers and talking about starting another branch of their set-up in my area. only if we had asphalt tracks around here, then it wouldn't be that big of a problem........i wonder what a 1mile long asphalt oval track with some banking cost??? hmmmmm......THAT would be fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts