NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
A good law? Are you kidding? Maybe they should make us wear tracking collars and make our cars have a 55mph cut off. All this is doing is letting the police justify their abuse of the current laws........Next thing you know it will be the death penalty.

Slava

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
That spectator law is bull! How many people are going to have to shell out money for being in the wrong place at the wrong time? I fight it to the death if I got one for it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
yakkosmurf said:
Sounds like a good law. It will make steet racing a more serious offense, and make being a spectator a crime of the same seriousness that street racing used to be.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/1822783
Definately a good sounding law to me too.

As to the comment about being in the wrong place at the wrong time I am sure could happen but if it was an honest mistake I am sure you would get out of it.

Street racing should be done away with

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MicaCeli said:
A good law? Are you kidding? Maybe they should make us wear tracking collars and make our cars have a 55mph cut off. All this is doing is letting the police justify their abuse of the current laws........Next thing you know it will be the death penalty.

Slava
I'm not aware of many abuses of street racing laws. Are that many people getting pulled over when they were nominally starting up at a stop light? Where did the tracking collar idea come from?

Since you seem to think this is such a bad idea, what is your suggestion for eliminating street racing and keeping people from getting injured and killed? Any idiot can say an idea is bad without providing a solution of his/her own.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Texas aims to crackdown on street racing

LaW said:

As to the comment about being in the wrong place at the wrong time I am sure could happen but if it was an honest mistake I am sure you would get out of it.
I agree that there have been times that bystanders have been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, I don't think many of these have happened at the illegal drag races. They take place in such remote areas and with such large crowds (frequently) that I don't see many credible scenarios for someone accidently stumbling into one and being caught. Keep in mind that if you do stumble on an illegal drag scene and stay to watch and see what's going on, then you are guilty.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Actually I have no problem with stricter Racing laws..........but I've been pulled over for racing and I actualy wasn

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Texas aims to crackdown on street racing

yakkosmurf said:

I agree that there have been times that bystanders have been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, I don't think many of these have happened at the illegal drag races. They take place in such remote areas and with such large crowds (frequently) that I don't see many credible scenarios for someone accidently stumbling into one and being caught. Keep in mind that if you do stumble on an illegal drag scene and stay to watch and see what's going on, then you are guilty.
\

Well here is one incident listed in that same link.

"Drag racing, a continuing problem in the Houston area, prompted a controversial sting operation last summer at a westside Kmart, where hundreds of wrongful arrests were made by Houston police officers".

These "street racers" aren't going to remote locations off in the wilderness, they are racing right in the community. Will every one who heard the screeching tires and turned their head to see WTF was going on get a ticket? Or will they be more selective and "only" give tickets out to people who look like they could have been involved?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree with the idea that it's too subjective. I'm not sure that just WATCHING it happen should be a serious offense. Sure maybe a citation or something, but not arrestable. IMHO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cops Santa Clara county will give spectators a ticket for illegal gathering. Cost me 300 bucks.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MicaCeli said:
Actually I have no problem with stricter Racing laws..........but I've been pulled over for racing and I actualy wasn

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
draygo said:
Cops Santa Clara county will give spectators a ticket for illegal gathering. Cost me 300 bucks.
And that was probably a stretch of that law. One that specifies a crowd watching a street race will be easier to enforce and easier to prosecute.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"Some of the thrill of street racing is having people watch them," she said. "I think they (spectators) should be penalized too because they are just promoting it."

People are goin to street race whether or not spectators are watching. Maybe if the spectators paid to watch they would be supporting it, but if people just come, its just another body to watch a race, means nothing.

What happens to the short guy in the back of the crowd who couldn't see the actual race....was he a spectator? He wouldn't even be able to tell the officer who won if he asked.

The law against spectators is just gay, but the law against the actual racers is just fine.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The law about spectators is very valid. I don't completely agree with comment about spectators fueling the participation of racers. I have a feeling that the spectator clause is to eliminate the group from which most casualties come from when something goes wrong at these gatherings. I think they are possibly more stupid than the ones racing...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
F35-JSF said:
As long as they are spectators and not people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Like I said, these things don't take place in the mall parking lot at lunch. They take place on deserted roads and in warehouse districts very late at night. Not the place where anyone hangs out that isn't doing something they shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Did you see the link? They set up A sting At K-mart where racers had gathered in a public place. People who came to shop found themselves behind bars. There have also been different operations that I have seen in other big parking lot areas for unofficial & official auto shows (those never turned into a all out arrest fest but there was a serious police presence.) The police will be where ever the racers are and going by this proposed law any one who looks like they were watching is due a citation which is wrong.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
F35-JSF said:
Did you see the link? They set up A sting At K-mart where racers had gathered in a public place. People who came to shop found themselves behind bars. There have also been different operations that I have seen in other big parking lot areas for unofficial & official auto shows (those never turned into a all out arrest fest but there was a serious police presence.) The police will be where ever the racers are and going by this proposed law any one who looks like they were watching is due a citation which is wrong.
I live in Houston. Not only do I know about the K-Mart raid, I've been down to that location and know firsthand what goes on. That had nothing to do with this new law. This law would give police a means to arrest bystanders without having to go stretch the law like they did there. No one at K-Mart was watching a race.

That location is typically used as a meet area for racers. It's also a place where a lot of people gather with their car (200 or so) and hang out. K-Mart hates it because it leaves their parking lot a mess, keeps their normal customers from getting in and out of the store quickly, and the stupid actions of the people there make it dangerous. There were signs posted that said not to loiter in the parking lot. Those signs were ignored. There were a lot of people in violation that night, but the police handled the matter inappropriately. That has been established.

The new proposed law would not promote or justify actions as conducted during that raid. The police overstepped their bounds. At the same time, I understand their frustration and motives for doing so. It doesn't make it right, however. The mention of the K-Mart raid in that article was to point out the effort the police have put into shutting down street racing (as misguided as that raid was). Personally, I think this law will make things like the K-Mart raid unecessary. Police would have a violation to arrest bystanders on at the race scene (where just about all of the people watching are breaking the law) instead of trying to use a loitering/trespassing law to the same end.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Thats what bothers me. They are going to use this law to catch bystanders but who to say which one is a Bystander and which one is going to get close out prices..... Will they profile them and say "Hes got a car like they do he must be a racer" and issue citations? That K-mart incident is a example of how this proposed law could be abused.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts